Seven

Please do vote, comment and share this story on your Wattpad Profile with your followers!

The world had gone dark. Layla felt as if someone was beating her head repeatedly with a hammer. It was an endless torture. There was an overwhelming urge in her to open her eyes and so, she opened her eyes, very slowly.

She had the most bizarre and absurd dream last night. His Majesty and his family, his royal family, had visited her home in the dream. The silliness of the dream left a smile on her face. Oh Layla! Your imagination runs amok. The dream took such a toll on her that her head was aching uncontrollably. She removed the duvet from her upper body and sat on the bed with her back resting on the headboard.

Her eyes wandered to the people sitting beside her bed on two sofa chairs. On the farther one from her sat Her Highness, Princess Sarah and on the sofa chair closer to her sat in all his glory sat His Highness, Prince Mustafa Ali Khan. His posture was relaxed, his flamboyant personality felt too grand for Layla's room.

His Highness was examining the room he was sitting in, well he was judging the state in which the room was, Layla could clearly tell from his expression that he was not pleased with what he saw. She knew it, someday her messy nature and laziness was going to come back and bite her in the ass. She cursed the moment she told Gul Bi this morning to not clean her room and instead focus on readying the home for the lunch party. When her aunt insisted on her room getting cleaned which she did almost every day, Layla replied, "Phuppo, what does the cleanliness of my room have to do with the guests coming over? It's not like they will go to my room to check if everything is spotless or not. Relax Phuppo Jaani."

Well, that did not turn out well for her at all. Several t-shirts were thrown on the floor right beside the bathroom door. She did not feel like this when the Princess came to her room earlier. Because she was sweet while her brother looks like the devil reincarnate!

Her Highness, Princess Sarah looked at Layla with a comforting smile, "Finally, you are awake. We have been waiting for an hour now. Your family is downstairs and mine has already left. We stayed behind to check up on you."

"Sarah, I would like to talk to her privately." His voice was deeper than what she had heard on television, or was it always like this. Layla immediately got nervous. Why would the Crown Prince want to talk to her alone? Well, why would he want to talk to her at all?

Her Highness nodded and left the room.

"I do not like uncleanliness." His Highness looked around the room and stated with a very neutral expression as if he was trying to mask his disgust with it.

"What is your name?" Layla let out an exasperated sigh, mentally. Of course, he knew her name. If he wanted to act like this then so would she.

"My name is Layla Baig." She murmured quietly. Idiot, you were going to act cool and aloof as well. She reprimanded herself.

"What? I didn't quite get that. Could you be louder?" For the very first time His Highness, Prince Mustafa doubted His Majesty's decision. This girl was in no way capable of ruling their country. From the state of her room, it looked like she was barely capable of looking after herself let alone after one hundred and twenty million citizens of Mughlaan. What was His Majesty thinking?

"I said my name is Layla." She took a deep breath to regain her confidence.

"Like Layla and Majnu?" His Highness, Prince Mustafa asked her surprisingly. Referring to the famous Arab lovers of the seventh century.

"Yes, my mother read their story during her school time, she loved the story so much that she decided to name her eldest daughter Layla."

His Highness found this odd. Who named their daughter after a tragic lover who could not even handle the weight of her own love? If people cannot fulfil the promises they made to their loved ones, then why would they make them in the first place? Why do people fall in love when they do not have the courage to stand up for each other, or for their love?