Thirteen

Please do vote and comment. It would make my day :)

We don't have a definite moment when we know that we have grown up. No such moment can be pinpointed. There is a chain of events that leads to us maturing over time. Some people mature faster than others while some people can never let go of their inner child. His Highness, Prince Mustafa Ali Khan never got to experience what it was like to be a child. He constantly felt the pressure of his destiny on his shoulders. Even as a child he was always conscious of the eyes of the world on him and so he would think twice before saying or doing anything. His actions were calculated even as a seven-year-old.

He could not just go out and play ball like the other kids. He did not go to a regular school. He had to study doubly hard than others his age to prove his worth. He had to master multiple languages before he even became a teenager. He had to be the most perfect child, teenager and adult in the country. All this shaped him as the person he was today.

He had many thoughts while he was getting ready for his wedding. In some hours he would be a married man. He was not afraid of the responsibility because he was already responsible for more than a couple million people of his country. He was, however, fearful of the impact his new bride would have on them as a family and on the world as the Crown Princess of such a big nation. He himself had never been a part of any controversy or scandal, his record was squeaky clean. He was never out of place. But his soon to be princess was to put it lightly, a little different. She was what people would call unconventional. She was easily affected by her surrounding, it both amused and alarmed His Highness, Prince Mustafa.

The call from his would-be wife was a pleasant surprise. He did not know how much he needed that call from her until she called him. As soon as she disconnected the call, he called Tara Sinha and informed her that Layla will be wearing a different dupatta from what she had designed and that she should get her people on it. 

He was not really particular about his wedding attire. He did not have anything specific in mind. He was okay with whatever Her Majesty and Prince Ahad decided. He was however, pleased that he quite liked the end result, it looked very elegant on him. The sherwani was off white in colour, intricate hand embroidery was done on it by local craftsmen. He was wearing a ruby and pearl neckpiece which belonged to his ancestors over the sherwani. It was tradition for the Prince to wear a statement piece on his wedding which was an heirloom.

Prince Ahad sauntered in his brother's room wearing a red kurta with white churidar pyjama and he was ready to leave. The colour of his kurta matched perfectly with his brother's pagdi. His hair was as always, untameable.

"Baba and Ammi left for the venue twenty minutes ago. His Majesty, King Charles and Her Majesty, the Queen Consort Camilla, were on their way and you know how Baba is, he hates to keep the British Royalty waiting." He informed his brother.

"Are you nervous?"

"No." Prince Mustafa answered firmly.

"Not even like a little bit?" Prince Ahad asked again.

"Not even like a little bit." He replied.

"I would probably be sweating through all my clothes if I were you right now. You are getting married, it's huge. You know it's kind of a big deal." Prince Ahad said excitedly.

"Yes, he is getting married to that goddamn nobody." Princess Sarah's voice startled both Prince Ahad and Prince Mustafa because after everything that happened that night at the Haveli between the Crown Prince and His Majesty, she had not tried to actively speak to either of her siblings.

She was wearing a long, beautiful sea green gown which made her look every bit the Royal Princess that she was. The skirt of the gown was flared. She wore a scarf loosely on her head, her emerald earrings were visible on the sides and were shining brightly. The dress was made by Bakhtiyaar Ghosi, a designer who had retired five years ago, he only came out of retirement to design a dress for the princess.

Looks could be very deceiving, this was something Prince Ahad learned at a young age, in this cut throat world. Everything is not what it seems but Layla was. She really was just as simple and sweet as she looked unlike some people he was surrounded with.

"Will you stop being this hostile towards her, please." Prince Ahad did not know if he meant it as a request or a statement but no matter what he knew he meant it. Why were his siblings like this? Did they never think about anything other than their title and reputation? Was marriage between two people really something which was only done for the greater good of a family or nation? Prince Ahad would never understand them or anyone in his family for that matter. He could never be that cold or calculative.

"I still do not get what Baba was thinking when he announced your wedding to that girl." She said to Prince Mustafa. The way she said 'that girl' made it sound like an insult.

"You do not need to think anything, Sarah. He did whatever he thought was best. Let it go. I have already talked to him and I know whatever I need to know from his side." Prince Mustafa replied.

"Besides, you all are overreacting a lot. It is just a wedding." He continued.

"No, it is not just a wedding. She is going to become a part of our family and bloodline, Bhai. I had no problem with her when I thought we were just visiting her home for her birthday because she was just some girl at the time. I did not know that Baba would make her a part of our family. She will inherit the crown one day. She doesn't even know how to talk to people properly. It is disgusting." Princess Sarah said appallingly.

"Well, whether you like it or not she will become a part of this family very soon and will also be your Queen one day. If I were you, I would think long and hard before saying anything about her." Prince Mustafa said while adjusting his sleeves. His words were said casually but the message behind it was clear.

"We need to leave in five minutes, Bhai." Prince Ahad said and left the room. He did not want to spoil his day with the negativity that was in the room.

"Ahad seems to have taken a liking to her." Prince Sarah said to her elder brother.

"You know how easy it is for him to trust people, Sarah. He has always been like this."

"I will never accept her as your wife you know or as a Princess."

"It is not up to you or me. It is His Majesty's order so it has to be followed. It does not matter what you or I want. Look at how well this decision panned out. No one even remembers the scandal that happened last month. All they can talk about is the 'Royal Wedding of the Century'. His Majesty made the right decision." Prince Mustafa explained to his sister.

"She does not deserve all of this which is practically handed out to her on a silver platter." Princess Sarah said resentfully.

"We don't know that yet. Let's give her a chance first and see how she does. But for now, it's show time so put on your game face, Princess Sarah."

The siblings went downstairs to their respective vehicles to leave for Umar Masjid.

His Royal Highness, Prince Mustafa Ali Khan, was getting married in a few hours.

_________________________________________________

Hello readers,

How are you? 

I hope you enjoyed reading this chapter. Tell me your thoughts in the comments.

Also, who is your favourite Royal?

Love, 

Sammie