Running Through the Plains and Mephiles's Revival

Sonic and Sonia were now running through a lush green field. Sonia pressed her head against her brother's, nuzzling his soft, cobalt fur. Now that he was sure they were safe, Sonic slowed to a stop, gently setting his sister down.
"I have no words to express how grateful I am for your help..." Sonia said, running a hand through her pink quills and magenta fur. She then noticed a long cut in Sonic's left arm. "You're hurt!"
Sonic looked down at his hurt arm.
"It's nothing," he assured softly. He shook out his arm, trying to ignore the searing pain and looking it over.
"Don't say that!" Sonia retorted gently. She gently took his arm and started to bind the wound with a piece of cloth. Sonic staggered as he half-heartedly tried to escape her help; he knew he wouldn't be able to. He decided to keep himself busy by lightly scratching his muzzle and tapping his foot.
"I'm sorry... It's all my fault..." Sonia remorsed. Sonic looked at her for a moment. He knew that she shouldn't blame herself for him getting hurt.
"Smile," he said simply. Sonia just stared at him. Sonic scoldingly wagged his index finger at her. An iridescent blue-and-purple butterfly flew up and landed on his nose. Knowing he looked silly like that, Sonic turned his head towards her, trying to get her to smile. After staring for a moment, Sonia smiled and gently flicked the butterfly off her brother's nose. They both smiled as they watched the butterfly fly away.
"Your smile... That's all I need," Sonic said. He helped her back up to her feet and they started to walk through the plains together. "Eggman mentioned the Flames of Disaster. That's why he's after you, isn't it?"
"Yes, I think so..." Sonia said sadly.
"You know, I don't really know much about the Solaris Project. All I did was seal Iblis and Mephiles inside you and Manic after the project went wrong," Sonic said.
"The sun god our kingdom honors is Solaris," Sonia informed. "It's told that Solaris' rage would destroy the world. His wrath comes in the form of Iblis, or the Flames of Disaster. As you remember, we almost faced the full force of his fury all those years ago... We thought we'd lost you and Knuckles in that strange explosion shortly after you sealed away Mephiles and Iblis... And now, Robotnik is trying to cause that same disaster again... What can we do?"
Sonia stood there, worrying. Sonic suddenly lunged forward and grabbed her wrist, breaking out into a run.
"Sonic? Sonic! Wait!" Sonia protested. "I can't run that fast!"
"Don't worry," Sonic reassured. "Just raise your head and run!" He increased his speed, pulling her along, and they ran through the plains together, enjoying the feeling of the wind rushing through their fur and quills.
When they finally stopped, Sonia had to sit down and catch her breath.
"Feels great, doesn't it?" Sonic asked.
"Yes..." Sonia said breathlessly. "I- I haven't run that fast in so long..."
"Nothing starts until you take action. If you have time to worry, then run!" Sonic said. He held out his hand and helped her up. They then continued on their way back to Mobotropolis.

As he skated through the Northern Plains, heading back to Mobotropolis, the black hedgehog felt the Prince in his arms shivering heavily. He was hugging himself tightly and tugging his vest in, desperately trying to stay warm. Without fur on his arms or chest/belly, it was harder to stay warm.
To keep him warm, the dark hedgehog pulled Manic closer and allowed him to bury his muzzle in the fluffy, white fur on his chest. Manic wondered how the dark hedgehog knew who he was and how he knew where to find him. As he contemplated this, he realized that he still didn't know his name.
"Hey," Manic said cautiously.
"What?" the ebony hedgehog growled.
"How did you know who I am, and how did you know where to find me?" Manic asked, nervous from the gruff attitude.
"Your brother sent me. I saw that whole attack on the square. I followed Sonic after he ran away from the birthday party his friends set up for him," the dark hedgehog said.
"You never told me your name," Manic said, easing up a little, knowing that he was sent by Sonic to rescue him.
"I'm Shadow. Shadow the Hedgehog," Shadow said.

Shadow and Manic finally made it out of the Northern Plains. Shadow set Manic down and shook the half-melted ice off of his fur and quills. Manic then did the same. Suddenly, they heard a flapping sound as a bird flew over them, startling Manic.
"Yo, what was that?" he asked nervously.
"It's a bird, idiot," Shadow hissed.
"I'm a city boy, okay?" Manic retorted nervously, still intimidated by Shadow.
"Hmph. Are you always this pathetic?" Shadow scoffed.
"What?!" Manic snapped.
"You got startled by a bird, and when we've come across Eggman's robots, you've done nothing but cower like the scaredy-cat you are," Shadow growled, baring his fangs. "Your cowardice brings shame on all hedgehog-kind."
Manic desperately tried not to cry, knowing that Mephiles' seal would be broken if he did. He remembered Sonic's words again.
'Yes, Manic... Don't cry, no matter what happens.'
Manic couldn't hold back. His tears escaped his eyes, breaking Mephiles' seal.
Shadow stepped back in confusion and alarm as Mephiles started to escape out of Manic's chest. Mephiles took the form of Shadow's shadow. He looked nearly identical to Shadow; his stripes were gray instead of red, his rings were silver instead of gold, and his eyes were green instead of ruby.
"Oh no..." Manic whimpered as he cowered in terror.
"Oh, yes, Manic," Mephiles said. "I have waited for this day for years."
"Who are you?" Shadow asked.
"Mephiles the Dark," Mephiles replied. "Now that I'm free, I can rejoin with Iblis, and destroy this pathetic world." Mephiles started to laugh maniacally. Before Shadow could try to attack, Mephiles teleported away.
Shadow turned to Manic. Manic was trembling like a leaf and had tears streaming down his face.
"Sonic's gonna kill me..." he whimpered.
"Sonic told me not to scare or intimidate you. Now I see why," Shadow said. "He's not going to be happy about this." Shadow turned to the side and activated his communicator. "Sonic?"
"Shadow? Did the mission go okay?" Sonic asked through the communicator.
"Yes, but there's a problem..." Shadow said.
"Is Manic all right?!" Sonic asked worriedly.
"Physically, I think so. Emotionally, no."
"I told you not to scare him!" Sonic snapped.
"That's not the problem," Shadow said.
"Sonic?" Manic said shakily. "Mephiles is free..."
"WHAT?!" Sonic and Sonia yelled.
"I'm sorry..." Manic started crying again.
Sonic took a deep breath to calm himself. "It's okay, Manic. It'll be all right. Also, Shadow, I'm sorry I snapped at you."
"It's all right. Who is Mephiles the Dark?" Shadow asked.
"Bring Manic and meet me back at Mobotropolis," Sonic said. "I'll tell you there. It's a long story."
"Understood." Shadow then turned to Manic. "Hold on to my arm," he told him.
"Okay?" Manic was confused, but didn't protest. As he obeyed, Shadow took out the red Chaos Emerald from his quills and focused on its energy, feeling it give him even more power.
"Chaos Control!" A white light enveloped the two hedgehogs, instantly teleporting them to their destination.