Chapter Twenty-Seven

I regain consciousness periodically, catching glimpses of Juda or Max or even Aunt Andra who seems to be tending to me. They try to talk to me but their words are muffled. Max often looks angry, his shoulders hunched and his face purpetually sour. Juda, he seems to not be doing well either. His face is constantly wet with tears, his head hanging low most of the times I've momentarily drifted awake.

Somethings wrong. I'm burning up, the sweat making the sheets damp. My heavily bandaged arms feel like they weigh a ton. The left arm begins to feel like needles pricking me and then the burning sensation begins.
I know I'm screaming but I can't make it stop. The fire travels from my arm into the rest of my body making it that much worse. I can't take it.

Andra, is restraining me. Blackness envelopes me.

Juda is beside me, my bones are cracking. I'm pulled back into the dark.

The floor is cool against my warm body. I was very much naked. Slowly I push up and look around. The glow from the early morning sun comes in through the bared window. The hospital bed I had spent so long in was turned over and bent in a few places. A pile of cloth was beside the metal door. Otherwise the room was bare. I stood slowly, unsure of myself. Oddly I felt better than I ever had before. I remembered that I had been hurt and my arms were supposed to be bandaged. When I looked at them I was very surprised to see no wounds at all. How long have I been out? My right arm had faint pink scarring all the way from my shoulder to my wrist. My left arm was bare.

This can't be right! My inner voice seemed to sound much louder than I remember it. Where is everyone? Where am I?

The door creaked open. Andra poked her head in. "Your right she's awake."

"Here take her some clothes."

Andra slips through the crack in the door with a pile of clothes and shuts it behind her.

"How are you doing?" She whispers at me. She smells scared. Wait. She smells.... scared?

"I... what happened? Why can I smell your.... your fear?" Her eyes widened.

"Well there is a simple explanation for that... However, I think you should get dressed and talk to Juda." She hands me my clothes and scurried back out the door.

What in the hell is going on here. The last thing I could remember before being in here was the fight with Max. He... Oh no... He and Juda were attacking eachother, and I... I got in the way. I hurried up and pulled on my jeans and a long sleeve shirt. They were tight on me. My curves were more defined, and my muscles were bigger. I hadn't noticed until now. Shit, now I need new clothes. As I was finishing tying my shoes, the door creaked open again. This time it was Juda. His scent drifted in with the breeze from the hallway. My body tensed. He smelt wonderful. His normal peppermint mixed with something musky, like... I took another deep inhale, lust maybe? His eyes lit up as he saw me stand.

"Elly!" He rushed at me and enveloped me in a bear hug lifting me off the ground in the process. It felt good. He felt like home. "I'm so glad your awake! Goddess, I'm so relieved. I didn't know if you were going to make it..."

I looked up at him my smile fading. He set me down, but did not let go of me, his arms still wrapped around my waist.

"What, happened?"

"I... you jumped in front of us." He swallowed, his adams apple bobbing. "I gave you the mark, you were bitten."

"You marked me?" He blushed though his expression stayed seroius.

"In a way, yes. It wasn't intentional, and I am sooooo sorry." His fist gripped my shirt, and he pulled me closer. "This was not ment to happen way it did."

"Is... is Max alright?" He nodded his head.

"Well, maybe not. I know he is furious with himself for hurting you, he nearly ripped your arm off. He's even madder at me for marking you."

"But it's my fault this happened."

"No. I should have been able to stop him before it got that out of hand." I raised my hand to his cheek, the stubble there at few days old at least. "We should get you home so you can rest. First moons tend to be hard for humans."

"I feel fine though."

"I'm sure you do. Let's go."

As we walked out of the building to my home, all of the sounds and smells were overwhelming me at once. I could hear peoples conversations from behind closed doors. The smell of the forest mixed with the scent of food from peoples houses was too much. My stomach grumbled loudly. Juda laughed as I put my hand over it.

"Don't worry I ordered you food. New wolves need a hell of a lot of calories."

After we ate he led me to the couch and made me sit. I pulled him down beside me and snuggled his chest. This felt right. His chest rising and falling was so relaxing. I closed my eyes and sighed.

"Elly, I need to tell you something, your not going to like."

Hmmm? I looked up at him with a lazy grin.

"Juniper...." I sat up straight. "She didn't survive the change." The tears were falling before I could even register what he said. "I know, I'm right here." I collapsed against him, shaking with sorrow for my friend.

He kissed the top of my head and wrapped his hands around me tightly. I looked up at him willing myself to stop crying. His lips brushed my eyelids lightly. My body leans into him as I climb into his lap and wrap my arms around his neck. His nose brushes the curve of my neck as he cradles me. After a few minutes of us sitting like this my sadness ebbs.

I feel comfort in his presence.