Two Sides of the Same Coin

She tryin' something new, so here's some actually valid Creativitwins content.

Featuring OOC characters and a short chapter. Literally, if you have a problem with it, we can throw hands.

What better way to kick off this dumpster fire of a book?

Thanks for your support, Kira.

~~~

Prince laughed, basking in the praise that seemed to float around him. His friends, his family - they fawned over him with cheery voices as they recounted all of his perfections. He felt a soft blush on his face and flashed a charming smile.

"You're so brave, Roman!"

"Roman, you're so handsome!"

"Roman, you're so creative! We're lucky to have you!"

Prince sheepishly rubbed the back of his neck. "Ah, well. . . all in day's work for a prince!"

They all giggled lightly at his comment, lifting his heart higher and higher. He was loved and wanted and appreciated - everything he'd dreamed of!

"Unlike that one."

Prince snapped to attention, following the cold stares. Remus stood as the object of their dissonance, tilting his head curiously. Prince felt his mouth go dry. "Wha- What do you mean?"

"He's creepy."

"He's sick."

"We don't want him here."

"You're so much better than him, Roman."

That praise seemed to stick to his skin, heavy and smothering. The faceless figures surrounded Prince, claiming his superiority with faux-sweet tones that almost made him gag - like thick, vile cough syrup.

Remus locked eyes with Prince and grinned, waving wildly, mace lax in his other hand. The figures hissed.

"We don't want him."

"We don't need him."

"We have you, Roman."

Prince licked his dry lips. "But he. . . he's my brother."

"Separated, Roman. Separated for good reason."

"Very good reason. He's too different, Roman."

"He's not you, Roman. He's a freak."

Prince's body tensed. A million protests sat on his tongue, but, for some reason, he couldn't give them form. The figures turned their blank faces towards him. He couldn't make them out, but their smiles were disarming.

"He has to go, Roman."

"You can do it yourself, Roman."

"You don't need him."

"But. . ." Prince searched for words, but he felt like he wasn't even there anymore. "What'll happen to him?"

"He'll be gone, Roman. Gone, and that's all you have to know."

"Just say yes."

Prince stared at his brother for a long moment. Remus's grin dropped and he seemed to notice something amiss. He took a step for Prince, then stopped, an odd expression on his face. Prince made out his own name as his brother's mouth moved.

Inexplicable cold washed through him. "Yes."

The figures grinned, hungry eyes and malicious smiles. At once, they turned and surged towards Remus. Prince shut his eyes and ignored the scream of his name.

~~~

Prince jolted upwards in his bed, cold sweats matting his clothes to his skin and shallow pants jerking on his chest. His eyes darting around, placing his surroundings and mentally running through a few exercises that Anxiety had shown him.

His clock showed 'three-o-six'.

He lunged for his phone, shuddering with the sudden sobs that seized him. Tears ran steadily down his face as he scrambled out his password, messing it up more than once. His finger hovered shakily over the call icon.

It was stupid. It was stupid, right? Getting so shaken up over a freaking nightmare! He'd be laughed at. He was better than that.

"You're so much better than him, Roman."

A flinch and Prince was huddled against his headboard, gasping for air, holding the phone to his ear as it rang.

"If this is a booty call, I'm afraid incest is one of the few things I don't dabble in!" Remus cackled over the speaker, suspicious sounds in the background that brought flashes of a mace smashing through wood to mind.

"R-Remus. . ." Prince's voice cracked, sounding much weaker than he wanted.

The sounds stopped and Remus was silent for a long moment. ". . . Roman? Is everything. . . okay?" A pause. "Wait. You've always been a hardass about beauty sleep. Did you have a nightmare?"

Another sob heaved itself out of Prince's mouth and he tried to smother it with a hand. It sounded so stupid coming out of his brother's mouth. He was definitely going to laugh.

"Oh. Oh, shit." Remus sounded. . . apologetic? "Was it my fault? I try to keep it away from you guys most of the time."

Prince's breath hitched and words were spilling out before he could stop them. "I - I didn't want them to take you- I tried to- They- They wanted you gone and I - I c-couldn't stop them! I don't- I don't hate you or- or want you gone, but they- they wouldn't. . !" His stammered rambling broke off into heaving breaths that seemed to do nothing for his lungs.

Remus cursed into the speaker and something heavy hit the floor. "Listen, bro, deep breaths. Do those weird. . . rituals that Raccoon Eyes taught you."

Despite himself, Prince choked out a laugh and obliged. After a few minutes, he was able to speak. "Why. . . Why do you think we split?"

Remus sucked in a breath. "Probably because you watch significantly less porn than I do."

Prince snorted. "You're disgusting."

"That is my middle name!"

"You're also a liar." Prince grinned into the receiver. "Your middle name is - "

"Ah ah ah!" Remus cut him off. "The government is listening. I'd much rather talk about buttholes."

Prince groaned loudly. "I'm going back to sleep. Good night, trash-monger."

"Good night, dear brother! May visions of naked grandmas dance in your dreams!"

Prince hastily ended the call and leaning back into his pillows. A small smile tugged his lips up as he settled back in for the night. His phone buzzed with a text. He glanced over.

Trash Goblin: sweet dreams, brother

Prince chuckled to himself and sent a text back before turning in to catch a few more hours of sleep.

Sweet dreams to you as well, brother.

~~~

Yes, Remus's opening line is a less-than-subtle attack on RemRom shippers. I never said I was a nice author. I just said I write.

Anyways, take this and mail me Hot Pockets.

Ignore her, actually. But also, I share her sentiments on RemRom, so there's that.

Enjoy or don't, but it doesn't really bother me.