II. Dimwits and Duets

7 years later

The world was a pretty nice place for now. The sun was shining, the birds were chirping. I was once again drawing little doodles all over my friend, Lucy's folders. And I don't think a single soul was listening to the teacher talk about our next book project.

English was one of my favorite classes for many reasons. It was probably my easiest class, and didn't have a whole lot of homework. It had at least two windows with a gorgeous view of some small hills. The class wasn't too early in the morning. The classroom always smelled like lemons. Lucy was here. Westley Andel was here.

Westley was definitely here. He sat at the seat in front of me. It was practically impossible to not notice him. Today, he wore a pale blue sweatshirt and his hair had this boyish disheveled look to it. I wondered if he spent any time doing his hair. Probably not.

He took his pencil absentmindedly and spun it around all of his fingers. It took a lot of skill, I could tell. I knew this because I had tried (and failed) a bunch of times.

All of a sudden, an arm swept towards my messy array of binders and random pages and sent it crashing to the floor.

"Oops. Sorry, Pixie." he drawled, not bothering to help me as I tried to pick my things up from the floor.

Kian Fox was not one of the reasons English was a good class.

"Kiwi, go step on a lego or something." I shot at him, trying to straighten out my papers. Thankfully they were only a little crumpled.

In seventh grade, Kian had thought dying his hair green was a great idea. It really wasn't a good idea. Hence, Kiwi. It was perfect, and I hoped he hated it more than I hated Pixie.

"Aw, that's real sweet of you." he said, turning around to look at me. I tried not to vomit on the floor at the mere sight of his face. He smiled one of those charming smiles I'd seen him use on Abby Davis last week. I guess it was supposed to be charming, it came out as more of a terrifying grimace.

"Hey, you look really nice today. Almost not like a bridge troll." he said, sounding surprised. 

"Kian, please sit down," the teacher sighed, sipping what probably wasn't her first cup of coffee that day. He turned to go back to his desk, not so subtly scratching his face with a certain finger.

I scowled at his back and tucked the pages that had fallen on the ground into one of my binders. I was pretty sure the sun wasn't shining anymore.  

"Why do you two do this?" Lucy groaned as I handed her the folder I'd been doodling on. 

"Do what?" I asked, knowing exactly what she was talking about.

"I dunno, act like two year olds around each other? Why can't you just get along?" she pleaded, threading her hands through her dark brown hair.

Lucy was one of the sweetest people in the world, but I don't think she understood the hatred between Kian and I. It would take eons for the two of us to ever get along. 

"Why can't unicorns exist? Why am I not allowed to eat chocolate ice cream for breakfast? These are questions the universe will never answer," I replied, watching her braid her hair. 

Maybe this was sort of embarrassing, but I still didn't know how to braid my hair. I didn't know how to braid anything. It was almost like not knowing how to swim, or bike. Lucy had tried to teach me so many times, and I still couldn't do it.