IV. Ceilings and Complications

I tapped a couple rhythms on the desk I was sitting on top of, the sound echoing throughout the empty classroom. I had bumped into Ms. Gulley in the hallway. She had told me to wait in the classroom while she went and got some coffee from the teacher's lounge.

My phone had died at some point during the day, so I had plugged it into an outlet near the desk.

I had nothing better to do so I looked around the classroom, swinging my feet on the desk, waiting for my phone to charge.

Suddenly the silliest idea popped in my head. It would take Ms. Gulley at least a couple minutes to get her coffee, and I had no idea if the mystery pianist was going to even show up. I had the whole classroom to myself.

I slowly stood up on the desk, and stretched my fingers to the ceiling. I was an absolute rebel, standing on desks and everything. I was still a couple inches off from reaching the tiles, and I slumped back to boredom.

I checked the clock. It had only been about two minutes.

I stood up again on the desk, deciding what I should do next. Should I jump for the ceiling tiles? It was a risky move considering that the tile might fall on my head. 

But if I touched the tile, I would prove that I was superior to any other person who had not touched a ceiling tile.

This was too good of a chance to waste.

I jumped up towards the tile, my fingers barely brushing the surface. I frowned. That wasn't nearly good enough. I jumped up again, and completely missed my mark. I jumped again hoping this time would be better than the last.

"What the heck?!" a deep voice said from the doorway.

I yelped in surprise and tried to turn midair. I tumbled roughly off the desk and onto the floor, knocking over my bag which I had left down there earlier.

I looked up towards the doorway through the throbbing in one of my ankles. 

It was Kian. 

He stood at the door with his hands tucked into the pockets of his forest green hoodie, with an expression that managed to be both bewildered and amused at the same time.

I tried to recover quickly from my surprise. 

"What the heck, you! What are you doing here?" I spluttered as I set my bag back up properly. I could feel a bruise coming up on my ankle.

"What are you doing, jumping up and down on the desks like a maniac?" he snickered, coming towards me and the desk I had jumped on. I made a face at him in reply.

I flashed one of my fingers at him. 

"You know the only maniac here is-" I stopped short of finishing my sentence as Ms. Gulley chose the worst possible timing to enter the room. We watched her slowly take in the way we were glaring at each other, and I meekly put my finger down.

"Hi," I said awkwardly for the second time that day. I sprang to my feet, the pain in my ankle shooting upwards. 

Kian turned towards her, a look of recognition passing over his face. My eyes widened in understanding. No. This was some sort of mistake.

"I see you two have already met," she said shortly, no doubt having heard our mini-argument.

Shoot. As in shoot me right now, please.

He was the pianist? I couldn't believe this disgusting idiotic creature had other talents besides making me want to vomit. I shuddered. This was just my luck.