Chapter 33

I think I stop breathing.

Mara's asking me what's wrong, but it sounds like she's speaking a foreign language. It sounds like she's far away.

I move my hand from my stomach to my heart, feeling the heavy thump of it against my chest.

My head starts spinning, and I feel like I might pass out. I lay back down, Mara's voice sounding much farther away then she actually is.

I close my eyes, and the spinning stops. I'm still struggling to breathe, and Mara still sounds so far away. I mind link Max.

What do you mean, they found out?

B, it's exactly how it sounds. He answers right away this time.

How?

I was having a nightmare about them hurting you. They heard me shouting in my sleep. As sweet as it his that he had a nightmare about them hurting me, I can't get all dreamy about that right now. I need to know what's happening.

What's happening now? I still feel like I'm in the middle of a panic attack, but I move my hands to my stomach. Feeling the bump reminds me that I cannot freak out like this. It's not good for mine and Max's baby. Talking to Max is also helping to calm me down.

He doesn't respond right away. I open my eyes and sit up, looking Mara dead in the eye. "The hybrids found out. I'm waiting for Max to mind link me back."

Mara doesn't say anything, and I'm grateful for that. I don't want to have to talk anymore until I know what's going on.

They locked me up and tried to get me to talk. I didn't talk, so they're bringing me to you. They're going to use you against me, and maybe me against you. Don't talk to them under any circumstances, B. Got it?

Max, I'm not going to sit there and watch them hurt you! I shriek, the mere thought of it enough to make me puke. I bolt up from where I was on the floor and rush into my bathroom, emptying the contents of my stomach into the toilet. Mara's right behind me, holding my hair up and rubbing a hand up and down my back.

As disgusting as it is, I lay the side of my face on the rim of the toilet seat incase I have to puke again. Mara sits down beside me, and I can tell she's ready to jump back into action if I start hurling.

"What do you mean, the hybrids found out?" she asks quietly.

"Max was having a nightmare about them hurting me, and they heard him shouting. He wouldn't tell them anything, so they're bringing him here to use us against each other."

Mara's eyes widen. "Shit," she hisses. "Fuck, Brynn. This isn't good. We need to do something. Evacuate and get everyone out of here. We can't fight the hybrids unless they're weakened. They'll kill us all in a heartbeat."

"I know Mara," I breathe, not fighting the tears that begin to roll down my cheeks. "Believe me, I know."

"I'll be back," she says, and she gets up from her spot beside me. She leaves the bathroom, and I'm left alone in silence. I keep my head against the cold porcelain of the toilet seat, closing my eyes as I mind link Max.

Max. What do I do?

You gotta get your family out of there, B. Take them all to my house. Hopefully they'll be safe there until the solar eclipse.

And what about the rest of my pack?

He doesn't respond right away, but I know his answer. Max has a heart of gold, but he doesn't understand the loyalty of being a pack member like I do. He was raised around vampires. He didn't grow up with loyalty to a pack being engraved into his mind.