Cadian Plains

The leviathan had seen better days, it once stood at the forefront of propaganda posters and military parades with full battle honours. Horse hair plums and great medals used to be displayed from the edges of the observation deck with two full companies of hand-picked Kasrkin guarding its flanks dressed in the finest battlewear that the Munitorum could find.

Now it was trudging though the Cadian plains, its hull was covered in the scars and marks of ferocious battles and offensives. Now, regiments of Cadia's own marched towards the retreating heretics, their fleet still hung above in atmosphere but the Navy was slowly pushing them back and the Guard was striking back in every corner of the world, their spirit rejuvenated by the news of the destruction of that cursed Blackstone Fortress.

Now, General Jeanne of the 51st Cadian stood atop the observation deck of the Leviathan, that was affectionately named "Big Frekking Bertha", with aides and communication officers. There was a mess of vox units and ammunition stores as well as vox-mitters that played Flower of Cadia every so often.

The General wore her best today, something that her men had not seen since the start of this cursed Black Crusade. She wore everything that came with her command including the laurels and hard earned medals and ribbons. She gazed upon the enemy lines to see a mass of defensive works, most were crude while others were of some marvellous design, for a heretic.

"Reconnaissance has established that most forces opposing us are of the Lost and the Damned!" A comms officer said, the General raised a hand in thanks without removing her gaze. Where were their Astartes? The Heretic Astartes were at the forefront with their daemons and unholy machines.

Out in the distance she saw two titans and shapes of Astartes. They were few in number and would be overwhelmed easily with Cadia's new weapons and armaments all thanks to the "Salvation Armies" that appeared from old hills and mountains from Observation Posts.

"General Jeanne." The vox came, it was a voice she had heard nearly everyday since the Volscanis' Heresy on Tyrok Fields where she led a small relief battalion of whiteshields as a Major.

Creed, the Lord Castellan himself who oversaw her promotion to General. The same man that mustered Cadia's sons and daughters and promised them nothing but blood, sweat, tears and battle.

"General, can you make it to Kasr Irlen by the end of today?" He asked through the vox. She checked the distance. A hundred kilometres or sixty two miles. It seemed like madness, but dawn was just breaking.

"We will be there Lord Castellan."

"Very well, make with full haste. May the Emperor bless your offensive!"

The transmission cut off. The operators around her suddenly seemed to be working twice as fast now, she understood Creed's effect on the troops and she relayed his order's to the regiment commanders.

Today was now the start of a new offensive when the first was halted after the Archenemy Abbaddon the Despoiler launched the carcass of his Blackstone Fortress at the heart of Cadia but his plan was foiled with the presence of an unknown force.

Two days later, the 143rd Army was thundering across the plains and heading straight back into battle. Her force would form the spearhead for a force of two other armies. She aimed to link up with General Bendikt's 207th and finally to Kasr Irlan where the 51st Kasrkin was holding out.

"Have the artillery fire on my mark! Creeping barrage!" She ordered as Leman Russes charged forth, guns were armed and primed and the plasma glowed brighter than usual.

"Fire!"

A single shot came from behind the vanguard, it was the first of many that blocked out the Eye of Terror. It was stunning and stood as a display of Cadia's might and resolve as they landed on the foward trenches. Heavy weapons emplacements and bunkers were annihilated in an instant with the heretics defending them being reduced to puddles of blood and a mixture of bone and meat.

As the bombardment begun so did the assault. Under the cover of smoke, fog and shells, Infantry that took a ride on the Leman Russes and Chineras jumped off and made their way towards the trenches, most of which were held by slaves of the Chaos gods with no heretical guardsmen or astartes in sight.

"Forward!!"