Chapter 15

The sky was beginning to darken as Rachel and Brent talked over their plans for the evening—New Year’s Eve. Rachel and Brent were eating dinner at his house with the family, but the rest of the night was up in the air. She wanted to stay in and avoid the high school party scene, but Brent insisted on going to Jake’s house for the night for a New Year’s bash. 

“We never go out with friends anymore. Let’s get out of the house,” Brent said.

“You know I don’t like the party scene, especially on New Year’s Eve. Everybody will be wasted and acting stupid.” Rachel didn’t drink or party much. Papa and Nana had instilled stories of teens who’d messed up their lives through alcohol when they let partying take over their lives so grades fell, scholarships were lost, and athletic careers were ruined. Rachel knew those stories were embellished, but her goal was to play Division I basketball, and she didn’t want anything to get in the way of her goal. 

“So what? That doesn’t mean we can’t have fun!” Brent started tickling her. Rachel couldn’t help but laugh. Brent wasn’t a big partier, either, or at least not anymore.

When Rachel and Brent had first started dating, Brent was out late every weekend drinking with his friends. When Rachel and Brent became more serious, Brent stopped to spend more time with her. 

“Okay, okay, I give up.” Brent stopped the tickling. 

“There will be twenty people there max. And nobody cares if you don’t drink.” Brent wasn’t giving up. “Why don’t you invite Lillie to come, too? Then you will at least have one more friend besides me.” Rachel took a deep breath. Maybe Brent was right. A night out might be what she needed right now with all the family drama and rough couple of days. 

“Let me see what Lillie is up to.” Rachel sent a message to Lillie and received a quick response. Lillie had an invite for a girls’ night with some of the other junior varsity basketball players, but she wasn’t committed. Rachel gave her a call and told her about the New Year’s party. Lillie said yes, even though she didn’t know most of Brent’s friends. Rachel wasn’t surprised by Lillie’s decision, since Rachel knew Lillie had her eye on Jake, Brent’s best friend. 

“All right. Lillie is in, but we have to pick her up and take her home.” 

“No problem,” said Brent. “Tonight will be fun! I promise.” Brent gave Rachel a big hug. 

“So Brent, tell me about Jake,” Lillie asked as she got in the car. 

“What do you want to know?” Brent asked.

“Everything.” 

Rachel laughed. 

“Well, that might take awhile. He’s single. And he’s a good guy. That’s all you need to know,” Brent said. 

“All right. And you can put in a good word about me to him?”

“Of course, Lillie,” Brent said. 

“Rachel, are you going to have fun tonight?” Lillie asked. 

“Yes,” Rachel said. 

“That’s what I like to hear,” Lillie said. She buckled her seat belt, and Brent backed the car out of the driveway.

When they pulled into Jake’s driveway, Brent led the way to the front door and entered without knocking. Jake rose from the couch to greet Brent, Rachel, and Lillie. They were early, and so only a few others were there. Jake said the rest would trickle in as the night progressed. He gave them a quick tour of the house, highlighting the important areas—the kitchen, the bathroom, and the beer.