chapter 6: names [2]

Children of the
Demon King's Castle
yanderelle

×××

Looking at their anxious expressions, Eirene sighed inwardly. Honestly, she would love to change the topic in order to make them more comfortable, however, right now, she can't.

'... I really need to know their names.'

Names were something very basic, something that everyone should be given to when they were born, yet really important. It was necessary to know their names for Eirene since they would be living together from now on.

'But if they really didn't have names ....'

Eirene gulped. She felt somehow confused and was about to open her mouth, to confirm subtly whether they have names or not, however, before she could say so, she heard a soft voice from one of the children.

"... Selig."

It was the black-haired boy, who after being nervous for a while, finally said his name. Hearing that, Eirene felt relieved that her worries seemed somehow useless.

Thus Eirene calmly asked for confirmation. "So your name is Selig?"

She saw how Selig flinched hearing her nonchalant tone, but in the end, his body relaxed as his complexion became better. His voice also sounded more comfortable.

"... Yes, Selig Azrael Gracia."

However, after hearing those words, Eirene almost lost her composure. It wasn't because how pretty his name was, nor how he had a decent name despite being an offering, but rather, because of the two last names.

Azrael and Gracia.

One of the popular customs for commoners in this world was having their parents' first names attached to their own. Thus it wasn't hard for her to deduce that Azrael was his father's name while Gracia was his mother's. Sure, he might come from a noble family with 'Gracia' as his household name.

But no matter how crazy a blessing name would be, who in their right mind would use 'Azrael' which meant 'angel of death'? Moreover, Azrael was exactly the name of the runaway third Demon King's son. While Gracia was the name of Azrael's crush in his diary he left inside the castle.

Was this merely a coincidence?

Honestly, Eirene didn't thought that it was even possible to be friends when reading Azrael's diary. It was because Gracia was the God of Wind's Holy Maiden and born as a commoner, while Azrael was the Demon King's son and a half-demon.

The issue was not only because of the descrimination humans had to demons race, but also because of the relationship between the God of Wind and Demon Kings. From the past reports Eirene read, God of Wind was one of the Gods that despised the Demon Kings and take part in giving the curse.

—But if he was indeed the son of Azrael and Gracia, it would make sense why those Demon Kings looked after him carefully and why he only has demonic eyes as his demonic trait, it was because he was merely a quarter demon.

"... I see."

Thankfully, all those time spent for thinking was not more than a few seconds. Eirene didn't want to make the child more uncomfortable by her silence. However, the more she thought about it, the more certain she was that Selig was Azrael and Grace's son. Eirene can't help but felt weird.

... But anyway, she could thought more about it later and ask Damien and the other Demon Kings about Selig, so there was no rush to think everything right now.