CYNTHIA

I grabbed her by her caramel wrists, ready to split them in two. At this point, I was tired of the disrespect. It would be the last time she ever got over on me.

Countless deals had gone awry without me knowing. Now, all of that was changing. I blew forcefully, causing a gust of wind to blow Cynthia back into the cavern wall. Her skin became its true plum complexion. My gremlins grabbed her items and tossed them into the fire. No turning back.

"Grato, grab the wand and make sure you put it where I asked," I said.

"Yes your Grace," Grato responded. He scuttled away in a hurry.

I turned to Cynthia, rage boiling my insides. "Tell me, was it worth it?"

She gazed into my eyes with a fury like no other. "Anything that gets me closer to casting you into the pits of hell is certainly worth it."

A smirk found its way onto my lips as I shrugged with open arms. "Yet, here I am. No hell in sight." I let out a laugh. My gremlins joined in on the uproar. It was a delight to release all my frustration at that moment.

I removed my amulet and tucked it into my long trench-coat pocket. Cynthia closed her eyes, muttering a prayer. Suddenly, I felt a warmth in my legs. She sped up her incantation, causing the heat to rise. Instinctively, I threw a dagger at her liver. The warmth receded.

"You sly little bitch. Still got some juice left, I see." I grabbed the dagger from her liver and quickly cut out her tongue. No more spellwork from you, I thought.

Too many times I felt that warmth, believing it to be something other. A healing of sorts. New energy to learn to anchor. I knew better now. Never work with a witch from the Nary Islands. They're as traitorous as legend says. I should have listened before, but I learned my lesson the hard way. We all did.

Mira was dead and Shaheed was dying in a cot. The boat had been repaired but it wouldn't be the same without them. Sure, I could make it back to Canaris in time for the Fighters Feast, but what was that without my right-hand man? What was that without my lady by my side?

I blinked away the tears that threatened to surface. It had been 3 days since I buried my Beloved, and my heart was giving in to grief. There was no time for that now. I had to teach her killer a lesson.

I had to make sure none of Cynthia's kind would ever return.

"Tie her up," I commanded.

Several gremlins grabbed her, dragging her to the wooden pole driven into the sand. The pyre was ready. All I needed was for Asante to give me the word.

I closed my eyes, taking in a deep breath. As fate would have it, revenge came easy to me. My heart wished that fate would stop placing me in situations of such betrayal, but it seemed life had other plans. Either that or I missed many signs to walk away.

Nevertheless, I had the time to craft a new plan. This time, it would work.

Sailing to Renalia was no easy feat, but determined warriors find a way. We always did. If the reward was great enough, anyone would find a way.

"Your Highness, Asante is on his way. He says we may commence," Grato announced. He bowed low before taking his place beside his brethren.

I nodded. "Gremlins! You may begin the celebration. Light the fire!" I shouted.

Cynthia's eyes widened. Terror filled her iris and her body shook uncontrollably. She moaned loudly as the fire began to roar. The wood snapped and crackled like an approaching thunderstorm.

It was time.

I thought about what Mira would want and my resolve hardened. Cynthia would not escape our grasp. Her dark magic would die with her last breath. Grabbing the enchanted shells, I threw them into the pyre. The flames flashed a violent purple and green before returning to a ruby hue.

Asante appeared from the billows of smoke engulfing the beach. "My queen, it is good to be graced with your presence," he said holding out his beautiful brown hand. I placed my hand in his, allowing him to bestow a kiss onto my dark chocolate hue. He bowed, waiting for my command.

"Rise, my lord. It is my pleasure to enjoy this moment with you. Shaheed would be proud."

Asante's eyelids lowered, though he nodded in agreement. "He's still got some life in him. I'm hoping we can make it back to Canaris in time for him to receive proper treatment, your Grace."

"May the gods be with him," I responded with a hopeful smile.

The tides began to rise, threatening to reach the pyre before the ceremony was complete. Cynthia writhed against the pole gritting her teeth. She let out a yell that was louder than a banshee. We covered our ears for protection. One gremlin fell to his knees. Another swayed dizzily. Something had to be done about her voice.

She may not have had words but her voice still held power.

The witches of the Nary Islands were known for their skill, but this was unexpected.

I removed my hands from my ears, noticing blood on my palms. "This bitch..." I whispered. I spun in a circle, arms wide. I crossed them over my heart while sweeping my foot into the air. Dipping low to the ground, I placed one hand into the sand and stretched the other before me. "Silence," I commanded.

Cynthia's voice dropped to a whisper.

This was not enough.

I curled my outstretched hand into a fist and quickly released, as though throwing dice. A thin line appeared across Cynthia's throat. Blood seeped down her neck.

Her coven would receive this message, cowering in fear.