zero. the sad truth

the sad truth of hanahaki, unrequited love sucks

i love you so much rengoku

"RENGOKU, HEY ARE YOU-"y/n smiles, running over to rengoku before halting in her tracks. she could feel a sting in her eyes as tears threatened to fall, she watched as rengoku laugh with another girl. clenching her fists, she could feel her nails digging into her skin.

stepping back into the shadows, she hid behind the school fence and slowly slid down the wood. placing her hands over her mouth, she could hear them laughing. he never showed that side of him to her. she's been with him longer, so why couldn't he do the same. why was it her that was only special to you?

y/n could feel something rising in her throat, it was happening once again. she needed to get away, standing up. she ran off through the halls and went into the nearest bathroom. slamming her hands onto the seat she threw up the growing flowers in her lungs.

it was an endless stream of beautiful vibrant flowers, covered in a crimson color she was all too familiar with. staring down at the cluster of flowers, she wiped her mouth with her sleeve, and spit out the remaining blood.

leaning against the bathroom stall, she pressed her head against the door before letting out a cry. "w-why, just why do I love him?" y/n felt a burn in her chest, a blade digging into her heart that was more painful than any thorn that was made in her body. "stupid mc-donald wannabe..."she grasped her chest and started coughing some more, petals falling out of her mouth as blood dripped down her chin.

y/n felt tears pooling down her cheeks, the saltiness of the water dripping down into her mouth. it just made it sadder when she thought about rengoku, wiping her tears away. her vision was blurry from the overwhelming tears piling in her eyes, just the thought of him made her pain worse. she let out choked breaths and small gasps as she tried to regain her normal breathing.

she was extremely tired, she hated this feeling but she never wanted this love to go away. y/n could have gotten surgery, but she never wanted to forget these feelings that her best friend had given her. he was her savior, helping her in times of need and telling her to cheer up whenever she was down. she was ultimately sure that he saw her as a little sister.

letting her arms go limp at her side, she stayed like that for the whole lunch period before getting out to head to her next class. as she regained her normal breathing state, she wiped off the drool from her chin. y/n exited the bathroom she placed an automatic small smile on her face, waving at nearby students like nothing was wrong.

y/n had arrived at her next class, she saw the girl and rengoku chatting with each other. she felt like she wanted to cry all over again, averting her eyes away from the scene she sat next to rengoku.

usually, he would say a greeting to her, like 'hey y/n! it's a fine day today isn't it?' slumping down onto her desk y/n gazed longingly outside the window. it's not like she hated mitsuri for going out with rengoku, she was your dream girl. a cute face, a perfect body, and a nice personality, like a typical type that boys would love.

she was nice to her, always coming to say hello and giving her mochi as a gift. y/n hated that she wanted her to go away and disappear so she could have him. it was agonizing, feeling of dread when she thought about it. rengoku deserved her, made for each other. each of them perfect in a similar way.

y/n never had a chance to begin with after all.

if she was going to die, which would be soon. she needed to hang out with him as much as possible. even if it was just for a little bit, even if the time was for a few minutes, no seconds were fine as well. she just wanted to talk to him before he had a girlfriend at all, to begin with.

when her last period ended she rushed out of her seat knowing that rengoku wouldn't bother asking where she was. that's because he and his girlfriend were going out. she knew this too well because of her futile attempts to hang out with him.

looking up at the hospital, she rushed inside and hurriedly booked an appointment, checking in for her death timer.

"l/n y/n, you can come in and see dr.yato now." the nurse announced, y/n stood up and walked over to the room. trying not to get any attention, closing the door behind her, she sat down in a nearby seat.

"hi dr.yato," she mumbled, staring up at the black-haired man. the doctor smiled and bid a hello back. "so, your here for the checkup?" he questioned, sorting through his files to search for hers.

"yes, i'm just here to ask how long i have left," she answered, not hesitating on her answer. she looked straight in his eyes, a slight gleam at his answer she was waiting.

"let me just say, you can have a surgery y/n, you can survive." the doctor pleaded the last time, eyebrows furrowing in worry. he hoped that she would pick the right choice, "i'm sorry doctor, i don't want these feelings for him to disappear." she answered, fingers fidgeting under his gaze.

this silence went for a bit before he let out a sigh, "youngsters these days, am i right?" he laughed, trying to brighten up the mood. the girl let out a snort before calming her self, "hah," the doctor sighed out, his fingers trembling at the words printed onto the paper.

"y/n, you've got five days till your due."

y/n froze, she didn't have enough time to celebrate his birthday with him.

"doctor..." she trailed off, the doctor sighed and walked over to pat her shoulder before leaving out the door. this left her to think by herself, her last days were going to be the best she would have.

if she could, with rengoku.