Before it begins

'Randomly Generated', two illuminated red words twinkle in the darkness. The Sim saw her reflection appearing on the mirroring screen - a dark skin tone, an awkwardly shaped face, some neatly tied hair in rainbow colour, a long-sleeved blue crop top showing her flat belly, a green-and-grey striped straight skirt, a pair of high top sneakers covering her ankle. She awkwardly scrutinized herself, not knowing what to do. She tried to move her face so her eyes were reduced to a line and her cheek folded twice. Terrified, the Sim drew back with her eyes wide open. And before she could raise her arms and kick her feet, a robotic voice from nowhere suddenly broke the silence and shocked her, 'Ellis Dee, our 384728384 randomly generated Sim. Gender : female. Personality traits : creative, gloomy, erratic, squeamish, evil, paranoid, self-absorbed.' The Sim frowned at such an announcement, not sure what to feel. But at least she knew her name was Ellis Dee, she thought to herself, and who cares what the long lists of traits are.

As the robotic voice disappeared, the black environment surrounding her transfigured into a three-dimensional space with vividly bright colours flashing around in the background. Within the patches of orange and pink reflecting on Ellis' face, she saw the images changed from two happy Sim friends taking photos, to a cheerful Sim chef showing her pancakes in the cute, white uniform. Afterwards, it shifted to a lady Sim in glamorous gown running into a male Sim dressed exquisitely in cocktail suit. And then, to two perfect-looking parent-Sims cuddling over their new-born baby Sim... Ellis stared fondly into every of them, in her mind she had already pictured her colourful life in the game - she would be so happy, so satisfied, so unique. And when the loading bar of green slashes was finally full, she knew it was time. The surrounding turned black again, Ellis closed her eyes to embrace the whole new world she'd be in.