Chapter 3

Heather left the office and headed outside. Her car was parked in the corner of the lot. She headed over to it and frowned when she saw a note on the windshield. Heather reached over to grab it, but then stopped. There was a wire connected to the note and as Heather followed the wire with her finger, it led under the hood. It looked like someone had planted a bomb under the hood, but how did they get into the lot without anyone noticing? Unless they had done it the night before, and why was she being targeted? Heather pulled out her cell phone and dialed the precinct. "Sue, this is Heather, have the bomb squad get their hind ends outside. Someone put a bomb under the hood of my car."

"I will send them now," she said. "Are you in the parking lot?"

"Yes, in the back left corner," Heather said and hung up. She then studied the note while she waited, not worried about setting off the bomb, as long as she didn't pull the wire. The letter read, "Back off now; this is a warning."

"Yes, a warning that would kill me," she said frowning. Who knew that she was working this case? Or had they seen her at the party?

The bomb squad came running out the door then, decked in their gear. Heather stepped far away from the car. "It's wired under the hood to the note," she told one of the men.

He nodded, and he and the other men approached the car.

Grisham walked up to Heather then, shaking his head.

"I didn't think anyone knew you were on this case," he said to her.

"I didn't either. Someone figured it out and knew my car was here. I bet it was those goons who poisoned me."

"Most likely, considering they were gone by the time the cops showed up at that house the other night."

"Very convenient. The men probably put the bomb in my car after it was brought here, and at night. We really need to get parking lot lights and cameras back here, chief," she frowned.

"Yes, I will have to talk to Bruce about helping us out. We are just lucky it didn't explode."

"Yes, we are," Heather agreed, but didn't comment about Grisham asking for help from Bruce. It's not like she could stop him.

One of the bomb squad walked over to them. "Two blocks of C4 that were set to explode as soon as the wire was pulled hard enough."

"Two? That would have blown up half the parking lot," Heather said.

"Most likely amateurs," he told her. "It wasn't done very well."

"Thanks, Dave," Grisham said.

He nodded and headed back to the car.

"I think I am going to talk to the guy who hosted the party the other night," Heather told Grisham. "Mind if I borrow another car?"

"Go ahead, but call if you need help."

"I will," she said and headed to another car. He watched her get in and drive away.

The house was a few miles away, but it didn't take too long to get there.

Heather pulled up in front of the house and got out. She walked to the door and frowned. It was standing ajar, that was never a good sign. She pulled out her phone and redialed the precinct.

"Hey Sue, it's Heather again. I need backup to this address. The door is ajar and I know better than to go in by myself."

"I will send backup now," Sue assured.

Heather hung up and went to wait in the car until a few minutes later, two police cars pulled up behind her. She got out to meet them.

"This is the house where I was poisoned, and as you can see, the door is ajar, which is always a bad sign. I'll lead, you men follow," she told the men.