Chapter 12: Rolling fields pt. 2

"You got it, girl."
Just as soon as those words come out of his mouth, I hear the sound of metal clanking against the air vent.
I look a bit closer and see the glimmer of a small golden key.
"They don't know I have this key. I swiped it a week ago and they are still looking for it."
I hear him snicker a little bit and can't help but wonder what this kid looks like. I grab the key out of the vent, walk over to the door and try to quietly unlock it. Slowly, I crack it open and take a quick peek in the hallway, just to make sure no nurses are patrolling. I don't see anyone. I'm starting to think I should just close the door, pretend like none of this happened and serve my 24 hours uneventfully. That's when I hear a whisper coming from the corner of the hall.
"Pssst, this way."
Tiptoeing as quietly as possible, I make my way  down the eerily silent hallway.
"Beau? Where are you?"
"I'm right here."
The sound comes from right behind me and I'm jump but thankfully I don't scream. Turning around, I see who I'm assuming to be Beau. I'm almost taken aback by his astonishing appearance. He's African American with a very light complexion. He has tightly coiled red hair and freckles. His eyes are green and full of mischief.  He was actually quite handsome.
"What's the matter? You never seen a black ginger before?",beau laughs.
"Well, it's not that, it's just...where did u come from? How'd you do that?"
"I dabble a bit in the art of magic."
Great, isn't that just what I need right now, to befriend a warlock...
"Wow, that's pretty cool! How'd you get into that sort of thing?"
"My family is from New Orleans and my grandmother would teach me tricks and magic when she would babysit me, my mother hated it, she said I didn't need to be learning things like that but I just loved it and over the years I learned quite a bit."
"So how'd you end up in a place like this? You seem pretty sane to me." I smile.
"Well, that's kind of a long story. Lets go to my favorite after hours spot and we can talk about it."
"And where is that?"
"You'll see, just follow me and be as quiet as possible."
Beau leads us down the hallway to a door that leads to a stair case. We head up the stairs for what felt like forever, I was even starting to break a sweat. Beau, was obviously in very good shape and was moving swiftly.
"Beau, Slow down! Not everyone has 6 feet of legs."
He laughs, "No worries because we're already here.
We approach a big door that reads "Roof" and he opens the door to reveal a big sunset sky.
"This is where I go to think at night when I get tired of being in that tiny room."
"It's so nice up here! No one knows you come up here?"
"Nope, just me and now...you."
Beau looks up at me for a second, his green eyes reflecting the sun. I can't help but notice how completely gorgeous he is and yet I can also tell he's very troubled.
There's a small table and we sit at a couple of small bean bag chairs. The sun is starting to set, leaving only the city lights to illuminate the sky. It's the most relaxed I've felt in days.
"Well, Viviana, we don't know each other very well yet so I'll surpass my long traumatic upbringing and get straight to the good part. I used to be scared to tell people the reason I was really here for fear of people thinking I was crazy but then I realized, life is short and I'm not going to be ashamed of what I am."
"Well, what are you?", I say scooting in a bit closer.
"Besides devilishly handsome?" He Smiles a big smile with both rows of teeth.
I can help but laugh at him. His smile was contagious.
"No, but really when I was younger, maybe around ten, I started noticing something about myself that I couldn't explain. I could hear people talking to me. I thought maybe I was crazy, after all, that's what my mom always called my grandmother because she was different. The voices would change what they told me depending on the person I was around. I eventually just started telling people what I was hearing and that's when I realized, they weren't just voices. They were people, spirits that had passed on. I had the gift to give people closure about their loved ones that had passed to the other side."
"Beau, that's an amazing gift, I don't think you're crazy at all."
If he only knew half the things that I've been through in the last few weeks.
"Well, thanks cher, that means a lot. It was a great time in my life but that's also when all the trouble started. When I told my mom about it, she told me to never bring that "mess" in her house again. She told me it was demonic and that it was because I was spending too much time at my "crazy grandmothers" house. She never let me go back and stay with her. I tried to ignore who I was for her for years but it got harder and harder, eventually I couldn't do it anymore. Eventually I started to sneak and visit my grandmother and she really helped me control my "gift", as she called it. She passed away a few weeks ago and I got so depressed that I didn't want to live anymore. She was the only person in my family that really understood me and supported me and she was gone forever. I did seek the help I needed and I'm much better now."
I could see the sadness in his eyes flicker and then change to pride.
"Then, when my mom found out that I was sneaking behind her back and seeing grandma, she had me locked up in this place and had everyone convinced I was schizophrenic. I will tell you this, no body-less voice I've ever heard has been imaginary."
He looks at me and I believe every word he says because his eyes tell me that he isn't lying.
"I'm speechless, Beau. You've been through a lot. You didn't deserve that from your mom at all. I'm sure she loves you and she'll come around one day. Sometimes parents just need time to realize that no fight or circumstance is worth losing their relationship with their child forever."
"I like you Viviana, there is something very comfortable about you, like you're a natural nurturing soul." He smiles that Cheshire Cat grin again.
"You're good huh?!", I say laughing.
"I am a nurse, maybe that's why. I love taking care of people."
"I can feel that."
There is a soft, warm silence between us as I sit back and look up at the now starry sky.
"So how'd a pretty girl like you end up in a place like this? You seem like you're very well put together."
"Now, this IS a long story so hang on to your freckles, Beau."
"OK.", he says as he starts to pat his cheeks. "Freckles are secured onto my face, I think I'm ready."
We spend the entire rest of the night talking. I told beau everything from beginning to end and it felt good telling someone else. He was very easy to talk to. Next thing I knew, it was ten o'clock at night.
"Wow, you don't think anyone has noticed we're gone by now? It's been five hours.!"
"Nope, first round isn't until midnight. You know Viviana, after hearing your story, I feel like maybe I can help you. Maybe we can figure out exactly what this entity wants with you?"
"I don't know, this is a very dangerous and powerful spirit, I wouldn't want you to get involved in this mess."
"You and Dimitri sound like good people and I want to help y'all."
"Well I could sure use all the help I can get, this has been one of the worst times in my life. My life used to be boring and uneventful, I realize now, I took that for granted."
Beau looks at me and I can tell he can empathize with what I'm saying. I start to feel bad looking at him because I can't help but admire him. I know that I have a boyfriend and  a gorgeous one at that, but there is just something about Beau and I can't shake the feeling of wanting to be near him.
This feeling of guilt washes over me.
"Are you okay Viviana?"
"Yeah, I'm good. I think I'm just tired."
"Well, it is getting late and close to time for first round so we can turn in, if you want."
I really don't want to, but I need to before I get myself into trouble.
"Yeah, that sounds good. I think I just need a rest."
We make our way quietly down the steps and get to my room.
"Get some rest, Cher. I really enjoyed getting to know you and talking with you."
"Me too Beau, thanks so much for getting me out tonight. I had so much fun."
Suddenly, we hear the sound of shoes around the corner and I turn around to look.
"You hear that?" Silence.
"Beau....?"
Beau is nowhere to be found so I quickly shuffle into my room before I'm seen.
I jump into the bed and try to pretend like I'd been there all night. I hear the door open and a lady's face peeks in. She takes a look around the room and then leaves; As soon as the door closes I sit up in bed and think about what a fun night I had but I'm also sad that I didn't get to truly say bye.
I don't know if I will get to see Beau at group tomorrow morning because the groups are separated by gender.
I lay there for a little bit and soon I drift off to sleep. The morning comes just as fast as I close my eyes and I'm awakened by my bedside phone ringing.
"Hello?"
"Yes, hello Viviana, group starts in 30 minutes. Please be ready. We will come to get you. Thank you."
The phone hangs up.
A long sigh escapes my mouth as I slowly walk to the bathroom to wash my face. Out of the corner of my eye, I see a folded yellow piece of paper sticking out of the vent. I get it out and open it up. It reads:
"I was serious about wanting to help you. Let's keep in touch when I get out of here.
-Beau-"
A phone number is clumsily scrawled at the bottom along with a smiley face.
I take the paper and put it in my pocket, happy to know that I have a friend that's willing to help. I feel revitalized and full of hope, so I wash my face and soon the nurse is at the door ready to take me to group.
Group is pretty uneventful and standard, and Beau was nowhere to be found. They serve us a pretty crappy lunch and soon it's time for Dimitri to pick me up. I'm very excited to see him and Viribus. One day feels like a million years when you can't be with the one you love. Once they call me to the checkout desk I expect to see Dimitri but it's not him. It's someone else. A familiar face. It's a doctor from the hospital we work at and one of Dimitri's close friends. I just know him as a friendly doctor from my job.
"Dr. Brinkle? You're here to pick me up? Is everything okay? Where's Dimitri? Where's Viribus?"
"Yes, Viviana, Dimitri sent me to come pick you up and make sure you're safe. Viribus is in the car outside."
"Dr. Brinkle, is he okay?"
I can tell he gets a bit uncomfortable and he clears his throat.
"Viviana, Dimitri is in the hospital."