Chapter three: Locker Locks and...Noah?

"Alright! For those of you who brought locks with you today, I'm trusting you to act appropriately when you go out into the hallway. I'm staying in here to make sure the other students don't mess with my classroom, or something." Mr. Sky waved them off with his hand before he turned back to the student he was having a one sided conversation with previously.

Cooper turned to Travis who looked back at him, dangling his own slider lock in Cooper's face. "Pretty cool, huh? It's so it's easier for me to get into my locker without the risk of being late to my next class." Travis grinned, moving to push his chair back.

"Unless it gets jammed. Those aren't the best locks on the market." Cooper replied, getting his own master lock out of his bag before he stood up to follow the rest of the students out of the room.

——

Cooper opened his locker, it's clean and sleek appearance a stark contrast against the lockers back at Mineplex. They didn't smell of rust and dust, nor did they have dirty, half torn off stickers that looked to be from the 90s.

He hummed in satisfaction, moving to close the locker before the sound of one opening besides him distracted him. It was the average looking guy he'd passed his paper to earlier, only now Cooper could actually take a good look at him. He looked like a friendly enough guy, his eyes were friendly but they also looked like they could give a real deadpan stare.

The guy looked up, making eye contact with Cooper before they both immediately froze. Cooper had been caught staring at him, a stranger.

"Hi." Cooper said dumbly, internally cringing at his awkwardness. "So...Looks like we're locker buddies for the rest of the year, huh?" Cooper continued, closing his locker the rest of the way.

"Surely." The guy smiled, holding his hand out towards Cooper. "I'm Noah."

Cooper looked down at the guy's hand, Noah's apparently. He wasn't aware highschool students did handshakes, but he shrugged and took his hand, answering with a short, "Cooper."

Noah nodded, turning back to his locker and inspecting it. "Some lockers, huh? They are a drastic change from Mineplex's." Cooper said, sliding his now unlocked lock into the concave part of the locker door.

"That bad, huh? I didn't actually go to Mineplex, I originally went to Hypixel but my family moved here." Noah explained, shutting his locker closed. "Wait, as in California, Hypixel? Why the hell did you move here of all places?" Cooper asked incredulously, watching as Noah unlocked his master lock.

"Guess my parents just wanted to go somewhere less crowded. Simpler, I suppose." Noah then slid his unlocked lock in the door of his locker.

Cooper hummed, looking across the hall at Travis who was currently organizing the extra books and binders he said he'd needed "just in case." Even though it was only the first day.

"Friend I'm assuming?" Noah asked, following his gaze. "He looks like an organized guy." He continued when Cooper nodded his head.

"Yeah right." Cooper laughed, looking back at Noah. "He's surprisingly organized when it comes to books and binders, but when it comes to anything else he's an act now, think later kind of guy."

"Awe are you guys talking about me?" Travis whined, already making his way to the pair from across the hall. Noah smiled at Travis's dog themed hoodie and held his hand out. "Yeah, sorry about that. My name's Noah."

Travis took his hand, shaking it. "I'm Travis! So what do you think of the school so far?" He asked, stuffing his hands into the big pocket on the front of his hoodie.

"I think-"

"Hey, you kids can talk inside the classroom! I only sent you out here to put your locks on your lockers, not form friend groups." Mr. Sky grumbled from the doorway, gesturing into the classroom with his head.

The three looked at each other, Travis giggling before they decided to head inside.

——

"Well as I was saying, this school isn't all that bad so far. Though there isn't much to say about it. It's only homeroom after all." Noah said, tapping on the desk absentmindedly.

"Did you have uniforms too? At Hypixel, I mean." Travis asked, his cheek scrunched up against his palm. "I heard you guys talking about it." Travis sheepishly explained when they gave him a questioning look.

"Of course they have uniforms, Trav. This is Hypixel we're talking about! They already make you pay a shit ton of money to actually get into the school, so why not charge extra for the uniform?"  Cooper grumbled, the hand that was previously holding his cheek now gesturing a bit.

Noah chuckled, silently agreeing with the outrageous amount of money his parents had to pay. "Yes, they have uniforms but they were way more complicated than the colored polos and khaki pants we have here."

Travis nodded, tugging on the bottom of his hoodie and looking down at it. "I'm just glad they let us wear our own hoodies." He said, letting it go and hugging his chest.

Noah chuckled, looking down at his own green bomber jacket. "I wouldn't be so sure, Travis. It's only a matter of time before they ban these and make us buy their own merch."

A loud beep came from the ceiling, an even louder voice following it. "Good morning everyone! This is your principal, Mr. King. Every morning until the second semester, when we'll hold auditions for student announcers, I'll come on here and share information from teacher's announcements, to birthdays and upcoming events. The bell will ring for first period in a few minutes, but until then your teachers will pass along a packet of papers to bring home...."

Cooper tuned the rest of the guy's voice out, already knowing the drill. Bring these papers home to your parents to sign them, and then bring them back the next day, yadda yadda yadda. It was nothing he hadn't heard countless times before.

Cooper took this time to look around the classroom, an art class by the looks of it. It wasn't the most decorated room, but it wasn't plain either. He suspected that'd be changed by the end of the week, or at least whenever Mr. Sky allowed students to use paint. He thought back to his previous art classroom which was a lot bigger than this one. It was about the size of a band hall, though most of the fine art classrooms were...Well besides the dance class as ironic as it sounded.

He looked back to his table when he was tapped on the arm by an orange envelope. He took the pile from Noah and separated one for himself, holding the rest of the pile over his head for the table behind him to grab.

"That's mine asshole-"

"Jesus, okay Joko just let me get one for myself-"

After a few more seconds of scuffling behind him, Cooper rolled his eyes and lightly tossed the envelopes behind him hoping they'd land on the table.

They hit the floor with a slap and the shuffling behind him paused, before it started up again.

"You should get it Mason. You're closer to the ground."

"That better not have been a short joke, dumbass. Besides I thought those were yours."

——

The bell rang, the sound of a drawn out beep filled the classroom and everyone rushed to stand up and grab their bags. "Wah! We should have compared schedules Noah!" Travis whined, pulling on the straps of his bag. "Well, what period do you both have for lunch? First or second? We could compare there."

"We have second." Cooper answered for both of them. Noah smiles, his fist coming up only to thrust downward. "Awesome! Me too." Cooper and Travis made surprised sounds as they made their way out of the classroom. "Really? That's pretty lucky!" Travis said happily.

"Well I have engineering next with...Seth bling...Mr. Bling I think it was." Noah said thoughtfully.

"Dang well, I guess we're all going our separate ways." Cooper sighed, looking down at the schedule he brought out of his pocket. "I've gotta go upstairs, so I'll see you both later!"

"Bye Cooper! Bye Noah!" Travis waved as he turned down the hallway.