Chapter Five: New Lead

Warning: Swearing and light mention of violence/blood

[Connor's P.O.V.]

Buildings roll past the open passenger window, covered in colorful adverts and signs that beg for my attention. Yet I keep my focus on the various pedestrians that litter the sidewalks, cars, and stores we pass, as I track our route through Detroit's city streets. Occasionally calling out upcoming turns by raising my voice to be heard over the death metal pouring from the speakers. The only indication I get from Hank as to whether or not he heard my instruction is if he takes the correct turn.

We have missed two so far.

For the entire car ride, I've had to refrain from mentioning that passing over certain lines, even to avoid potholes, is illegal. Five separate times to be exact. The sole reason I don't speak up is that I promised Hank I would keep quiet as much as possible after leaving his house early this morning. He wasn't happy I woke him up, nor was he happy with my explanation that our possible new lead takes precedence over him sleeping in.

I direct Hank around the last corner and point to a police car on our right. It's parked on the street and two officers stand on the sidewalk beside it. Hank half-heartedly waves my hand away before pulling up to the curb and parallel parking behind the patrol. Muttering under his breath about blaming his bad parking job on his injured leg. Promising to "give that android a taste of his own medicine when we catch it."

"Lt. Anderson, we need the deviant undamaged to get the information we need." I remind him while turning down his music.

He turns to look at me, keeping one hand on the steering wheel. "I fucking know that. And don't touch my radio," he reaches over to twist the volume knob up, not as high as it had been but close to it. "Now go out there and see what they've got."

I unbuckle my seatbelt, "Okay. Are you coming with, or are your stitches too painful?" He looks annoyed as his eyes travel past me to a uniformed officer approaching the vehicle. I reach for the handle to open the door but wait for his response.

"My leg is fine, and of course I'm coming with." He says, shutting the engine off and grabbing the keys before sliding out the driver's side. I notice him using the roof to keep his weight off his right leg, but can tell he is trying his best to not let the other officer see. "Just get out of the car already," he adds almost cutting himself off as the door slams shut hard enough to make the car rock.

I follow his lead. Stepping out and stopping on the sidewalk to survey the area, partly to aid in our investigation but to also give Hank time to walk around the front of the car. From what I can see, this part of the city is a lot less busy compared to the rest, with only a few people roaming the streets either heading to work or running early morning errands. Many are carrying umbrellas in anticipation of this evening's rainstorm. For which the grey overcast sky acts as a reminder.

The sound of a train carries over from somewhere behind the buildings, momentarily drowning out freeway traffic and songbirds. I turn toward the parked patrol car and see the second officer now chatting with a citizen next to it, an older woman in her sixties. Behind them is one of the two apartment complexes that line this street and a few blocks down a convenience store occupies the corner lot.

A directive appears urging me to ask about surveillance cameras there.

My attention is pulled back as Hank steps up onto the sidewalk next to me. The police officer who had been waiting for us begins talking to him, exchanging brief greetings before moving on to the evidence. "If you'll follow me it's just back here." Monroe, which I discover is his last name with a quick facial scan, walks into the entrance on an alleyway sandwiched between the two apartment complexes. With a flick of his hand, he motions for us to come with. I comply and walk a few steps behind Hank. "That woman over there said she saw two people back here last night looking suspicious. She could see them from her bedroom window." Monroe says while stepping around a few cans on the ground.