Chapter 9

The following Monday, Lola was finishing up at her locker. She closed the locker door and was greeted by Peter.

"Hey Peter." She greeted as they started to walk towards their next class.

"Hey. What was that on Friday?"

"What?"

"With Flash?"

"Oh I punched him."

"Well I know that, the whole school does. Why'd you do it?"

"He was making fun of you and I warned him what happened if he messed with my friends."

"We're friends?" Peter shook his head. "That's not the point. You wanted to be a normal teen-"

"No, Tony wanted me to be a normal teen."

"You like coming to school though right? And everything you've done so far?"

"Yeah."

"Okay then, you can't go around punching people because they did something to upset you."

"You know at Hydra we were punished if we didn't stand up for ourselves and fight each other if we felt threatened."

"Punished how?"

"We were pretty much tortured. I only had it once though."

"Okay well in the real world, you get punished if you threaten or hurt someone else, it's called assault."

"But he bullies you."

"Yeah and if I were to punch him I would break his jaw and then everyone would figure out who I was. The same thing will happen to you if you don't stop. I appreciate you standing up for me and considering me a friend but if people found out you're an ex-Hydra assassin and your father is the Winter Soldier, people will want to kill you and governments will want to lock you up. Or worse, Hydra will find you."

Lola sighed. "Okay. I'll stay out of trouble."

"Great. Now I might need your help with something. I found this thing when I fought some bad guys Friday night and it's some weird tech."

"You know probably as much as me." Lola shrugged. "Oh and Tony told me you got dropped into a lake." Lola said with a smile.

"He didn't." Peter said, closing his eyes in embarrassment.

"Oh he did." Lola said with a laugh. Peter just looked at her with a smile.

"What?" She asked.

"Nothing. I've just never heard you laugh before."

"Oh. Well don't expect it much." Lola said walking into class.

The next day, Lola was standing with everyone else at the bus with her yellow Midtown blazer on as Mr. Harrington did a head count. 

Suddenly, Peter ran up and begged to rejoin the team. After getting a yes from Mr. Harrington, Lola walked up to Peter.

"What are you doing?"

"Rejoining the team."

"Why? I thought you were busy?"

"Well I'm not busy now."

"And I don't believe you."

"I'll tell you on the bus." Peter finally whispered.

As they sat on the bus, Peter filled Lola in.

"So you put a tracker on two guys you think are working for this guy in a vulture suit that came to the school looking for the orb you found?"

"Yeah."

"And you tracked them to DC?"

"Yeah."

"And you're going to sneak away to stop them?"

"Pretty much. And I'll be back in time for the Decathlon."

Later that night, Raven and Lola were getting settled into their room when Liz came to the door telling them to get their swimsuits and meet them downstairs at the pool.

On their way to the pool, Lola saw Liz and Peter talking. As Liz walked away, Lola called out to Raven.

"You go on, I'll catch up."

"What are you- oh I see." Raven said as she noticed Peter.

Lola ran up to him. "Hey."

"Hey. You're going down to the pool?"

"Yeah, you should join."

"Lola, you know I can't."

"Peter, you've been giving me all this tips on being a normal teen but I don't think you've applied them to yourself."

"I can't just," Peter paused, "I need to stop these guys."

"And Tony told you to stay out of it."

"I'm trying to prove myself to Mr. Stark Lola. These bad guys need to be stopped and I need to prove myself."

"I don't know if my opinion matters but I think you do a great job and Liz does too. I hear Liz talking about Spider-Man all the time."

"I just can't Lola. I'll see you later." Peter said as he walked off.

Lola sighed and walked down to the pool, joining the others.

"How'd it go?" Raven asked.

"Not as I planned."

"Did you ask him out or something?"

"No, I'm just worried about him."

"He'll come around."

"I hope."