TWO | DUO

PRESENT

SILENCE IS THE KEY TO SOUND. That was what my piano teacher told me in his study room. That anticipation that runs miles per second which awaits a humming in one's deepest depth of raw emotion. Without silence a predator couldn't catch a prey ten times faster that they are. Silence is mandatory, it's also what makes you vulnerable. Like glass in dreams.

The school halls in the mornings were usually silent. No one in Venisde is a morning person and if they are then they're breaking the laws of nature.

Since I was nominated as student body president from my outstanding grades the past two years, my face on a flyer is plastered on the school's walls. People I knew from my AP private classes greeted me as I walked pass them, but I ignore it.

I was now called a model student, thanks to my idiot brother, he forced me to up my grades to accomplish getting to Top 10.

What I never knew though, was the fact that it was so easy to be on the Top 10 students list of Venisde Academy.

This gave me confidence, touching the surface of the power I never knew I had. And then after this, the next I'll touch is the power of having Rockerfeller empire be under my name. I could fuck my way up to the top any way I want.

I peel my body away from my locker when I see Malena entering the door. My ambitious thoughts running short.

Malena's white shoulder bag covered her torso every time she walks in school and I knew why. Her skirts this school year was too loose and she complained all days of last week about trying to get it fixed cause she barely had time to, trips and all.

"Good morning to you too." She says sarcastically when I simply handed her a safety pin without taking.

She knew the reason for my embarrassment. And it was because I had completed number four: Make a viral video.

Students whispered to each other back and forth as they passed by me and I roll my eyes, sinking my back further into the locker that I might've think I created a dent.

"Apparently I finished number four and number nine last week." I mumble.

Number nine: Win a poker game in the casino.

Eleven months ago, Malena and I decided to bond after her semester in a boarding school, and what better way to celebrate your best friend after having her 17th birthday and after spending the whole semester without each other?

That's right. Going to a casino.

And not just any casino, a casino in Ecuador.

I sulk in embarrassment, and when I hear a certain voice playing on Malena's phone, my neck snaps towards her and I try to pause the video.

"Oh shut up." She says when I had finally given up. "We still look cute anyways."

On the video, I was wearing a red dress and the heaviest of makeup that I almost couldn't recognize myself. I was seated on a round table with three other men dressed in black, they had brown skin, tanned from the sun. While tattoos went up until the sides of their neck. I remembered that this moment was when I had won the game and was about to collect the cash when the guy in the middle had his mouth in a frown, not liking the way I just won.

The man stand up, towering us both. Malena holds a hand to his chest to stop him from coming closer and when I was about grab the cigar that was pinned to his ear like a pencil, (in my attempt to be seductive) my long acrylic nails get caught in his hair and when I pulled it back, I tugged on it, revealing his hair that wasn't his hair at all, but a toupee.