16 | SEDECIM

I awkwardly stand on the same spot I wait in for my chauffeur. But this time I wasn't waiting for him, I was waiting for Ryder.

I see the parents from my Sunday church attendings open their car doors to beckon their children in their sleek cars. A last gesture from them. So that their children cannot say they have been absent parents before they suck themselves back into their money trees to leave their child for good in their mansion homes.

I feel my duffle bag being grabbed off my shoulder, "He-" I stop. Ryder's figure was already walking away from me like he didn't see me at all.

I pick up my feet and follow after him. His car made an abrupt sound and the doors unlocked smoothly. He, quite literally, tosses my duffle bag in the backseats and got in his own side of the car.

I didn't expect him to open the car door for me, so we both got in at the same time and closed the doors in sync. We both acknowledge our synchronicity, awkwardly glancing at each other at the same time before our eyes look at other things, Ryder and his ignition, and me with my phone.

The black steel gates looked to be enclosing around us like the wall of a giant creatures mouth only to fall back behind us and fade away into the rearview mirror of Ryder's car. We were now two streets away from Venisde.

It had started rain, a luminous grey blanket covered the sun and left a pearly sheen on Ryder's skin as I glanced at him. I can only see the tail of cars as we were nearing the busy roads.

Along this area was where most Venisde students lived, in a gated, once a country club resort, and needing a very real ID and passport to enter, area just behind the pearly white gates on the street across from us.

But I didn't live where my classmates lived.

I couldn't experience the late-night calls from each other to sneak out of their front door only to meet up on a chilly golf course to shoot balls and to drink stolen aged wine and to talk about all the things that happened in school.

No, I lived much farther from here. Where one atrociously long road that was surrounded by pine oak led to nothing but another gated dead end that was my house.

By now the rain was the only thing I could hear that it stopped me from even hearing my own thoughts. Ryder had his windshield wipers up the fastest it can go yet the fat droplets of rain fell faster, distorting us the view needed to drive.

We started to near my street, or at least the way to my street. But then, through the distorted view from my seat, I could see a huge brown, black in this lighting, in the middle of the path; totally obscuring us from the other end.

"Is that a-"

"Yeah."

The little lined path of the side of the cement road was bare with a slump in the soil. Leading me to confirm that a rather fucking large tree had given us a road block.

No one was around it other than a swaying limp sign drilled into the wood that I could make out as 'Road unavailable. Obstruction will resume tomorrow.'

"Do you know another road to your house?" Ryder asks me, rounding his car.

"No." I sigh, awkward that I'd have to admit sooner or later that I have no place to stay. I open my phone and scrolled through my contacts until I found my chauffeur's number, I click on it but as soon as I did it immediately emitted a continuous dial. "Is there no signal?" I checked my signal, and sure it was, empty.

Ryder checked his own phone, sleek black with a picture I cannot make out inside the clear case. "Signal's down." Ryder muttered irritably.

"Uh, you can just- drop me off at Dolly's. I'll wait the storm out." Dolly's was a diner not far from here, I was friends with the owner because I tipped her a lot.