A friend;A reappearance;A nightmare;A figure in the dark

Edo state, BC: Jane's house

"And the phone rings, on the screen, it says 'bootilicious'. The girlfriend goes 'Baby, who's this?' the man doesn't answer, instead he makes a sharp turn and drives off the bridge."

Jane guffawed until her stomach cramped and gasped for air, giggling as she wiped a tear.

They were in Caleb's car and he was parking in front of Jane's house while he concluded a last minute comedy skit. Caleb had offered to drive her home after work and she had refused but he insisted, saying it was no trouble and there wasn't a choice attatched. It took some persuasion on his part and Jane had acquiesced over a cup of ice cream intended to ease her decision.

"It was a smart move." Jane said with a snort of laughter because her insides still tingled. "There is no way he's going to explain that."

"Well, he could have said it was an upcoming clothing line and thought to have their number in case his girlfriend was interested." Caleb offered, turning off the ignition. He sat back in his chair and his shoulders quivered from the absurdity as he laughed.

"That is so lame, Caleb." Jane said, chuckling. Pain still laced her stomach and she winced. "No woman would fall for that."

"Why? You just have to be a fast thinker and a gifted liar." Caleb said, shrugging.

Rolling her head on the headrest, Jane wore a droll look to show him how ridiculous he was, but couldn't suppress the urge to smile along when Caleb grinned, holding her gaze with those eyes that twinkled and charmed.

Sometimes, she got lost in them, especially during a conversation and he would just trail off while she raved about things that piqued her interests. And sooner or later, she would fall quiet because of their intensity. Anytime she asked why the stare? He would say she was beautiful and whenever something caught her amber eyes, they lit up and made every movement so full of life.

"What?" he asked, noticing her distant eyes. His gaze dropped to Jane's lips, moistened and pursed in thought. Then Jane shook her head while blinking drowsily, but he badgered. "Come on, tell me."

"Not when the guy is as good looking as you are." She took a deep breath, averting her gaze to watch a little boy pedal his bicycle while another boy, much older, pushed from behind to keep it from wobbling.

"Guys like you keep getting the girls' attention, so it would be hard to accept that lousy excuse. Women are usually insecure around your type: handsome face, tall, nice skin, six pack abs... especially when they are as ugly as I am."

Caleb rubbed his jaw, a jaunty smile playing on his lips. "They are eight now, the packs."

"What?" Jane gasped. "Liar!"

"It's true." Caleb shrugged it off, smug.

"But why?"

"Genetics? I don't know."

"Where was genetics when I was being made?" Jane huffed indignantly.

"On your dad's side." Caleb laughed. "Besides, I think it worked just fine. You aren't ugly, Jane."

He always teased, and Jane couldn't stand it any longer, she harrumphed, grabbed her handbag, and got out of the car.

"Were you insecure?" Caleb asked as he got out and walked to her side of the car. Jane was leaning against it with her arms folded. She was scowling. Caleb pocketed his hands and sat beside her. They stared at her house. He nudged her arm with his elbow. "Were you?"

Jane gulped then sniffed dryly. A blush crept up her cheeks. At her age, she couldn't believe anyone could elicit this reaction from her. She was abashed. "Women never admit that. Don't bother."