Ch.6: Wait for Me

(Next update won't be until the beginning of December. Finals week is upon me! Sorry for making you wait so long. I've been busy. I also haven't updated Queen for a Day in like a month, because I MAY have writers block on that one. But don't worry! That'll be updated in December, too! This chapter is all over the place, and I am not proud of it, but for those of you who HAVE read the first book...let's just say there are a few callbacks in this chapter. Ready for a nostalgia trip? Enjoy!)

I stared down at my shaking hands as the bitter reality began to sink in. I felt cold...and numb.

I don't know if Katheryn was trying to talk to me or not, but even if she was, I couldn't hear her. I couldn't hear anything. It was like my conscience was blocking out all sounds, leaving me with nothing but bitter silence and my own thoughts.

You weren't listening...

Those words echoed in my mind over and over again, making me feel more guilty with every passing second.

I did this...this was all my fault...if I had just told Titus what I had been experiencing instead of bottling everything up like an IDIOT, then none of this would've happened! I wouldn't have lashed out, and he wouldn't have been here! He would've been with me!

But...I thought it would be best to keep my mouth shut...so that I didn't look weak...and now I'm to blame for what's happened...

I wonder...did he fight back? Or did he just surrender and let them take him away? Would I ever know?

And it wasn't just that. What about the other leaders? Have I failed every single troll I had sworn to protect the day they decided to put this crown upon my head?

Have I failed my friends and family? Did I even deserve this crown?...

"Roxy?"

I felt a cold hand gently touch my shoulder. I snapped my head up to see Katheryn kneeling in front of me on the sand. Startled by my sudden movement, she flinched and drew her hand back.

I sighed and quickly wiped the tears off my cheeks. "What is it, Kat?" I asked, my voice cracking in between every other word. I was trying my best to stay strong, or at least look the part. As Queen of Trollstopia, it was my duty to keep my head held high in this time of crisis and remain calm, but after what just happened, that image was become more and more difficult to maintain.

Even before she opened her mouth, I knew exactly what she was going to ask me. "What are we going to do?" she asked quietly.

After taking a moment to think, I slowly stood up before helping Katheryn get to her feet. I tried my best to push all of my previous thoughts aside and lightly bit down on the tip of my finger. The question she asked already had an answer; two, actually. One of those answers, however, I was determined to keep to myself.

"Isn't it obvious?" I asked. I looked up and saw two trails of white smoke leading towards the horizon. A random chill shot up my spine. "We know who's kidnapping all of the leaders, along with Highlight..."

"And Lee!" Maya spoke up from a few feet away. She was still sitting down on the ground, and her cheeks were now stained by the tears she had been crying only moments before. "They took Lee, too! I just know it!"

I tilted my head in confusion. "How can you be so sure?" I asked curiously.

Maya chuckled softly to herself. "Well, after Trollex cut my hair, and he was taken away..." She took a deep breath in, let out a shaky sigh, and wrapped her arms around herself. Just hearing his name being spoken aloud made my heart ache...