Ch.2: Roxanne's Hair

(Cover Art by Me 😄)

About six hours later, the sun was slowly starting to make its descent in the early-evening sky. Most of the trolls that had stuck around to help out had gone home. Only Katheryn, Thrash, Barb, Trollex, Poppy, Branch, Maya, and Lee were still here. Lee was supposed to go home earlier, but Maya wanted to spend some time with her, so they were off doing their own thing.

Quincy, Essence, and Trollzart still hadn't shown up yet, and Goldie hasn't returned with any news of their whereabouts, which was now starting to concern me. Where could they possibly be?

I was standing next to a rope ladder under a tree. It led up to a perch that Titus and I liked to sit and chat in. It had a nice view of the front lawn. Now, I was waiting for him to arrive with a smile plastered on my face.

I still couldn't believe that I was gonna be a grandma! That news felt like it was too good to be true!

I mean, I held the egg in my own two hands, so that was real, and I've already tried pinching myself to make sure that I wasn't dreaming. I was just so excited!

I hoped that I could be a good grandma, just like how I was a good mom...to Trollex...

My smile vanished as negative thoughts began to cloud my mind.

Am I a good mom? No you aren't! Stop saying that! I was, and I still am! But you were never there for him, were you?

I tilted my head towards the ground, leaned my back up against the tree, and I closed my eyes...

Where were you his entire life?

I was sitting in my prison cell, with the cold, concrete walls and the iron bars. This was an all too familiar setting for me, and definitely not one I wanted to be back in. The smell of rusting metal and mildew was so strong it was almost sickening.

When I stood up, I noticed a cracked mirror in the corner...strange. I don't remember that ever being there.

When I walked over to it and looked at myself, I gasped and covered my mouth. What I saw, was short black hair...heavy black makeup...the black hooped earrings...the bandages on my forearms.

Everything that I was forced to wear or do to alter my physical appearance for so many painful years...was back...and I hated looking at it.

I rubbed at my eyes as hard as I could, but the makeup refused to come off. I scratched at my bandages in a desperate attempt to rip them off my arms, but it was like they were fused to my skin.

The cage was small, and the additional accessories only made my prison feel even smaller. I was trapped...with no way out...for so long...

I was here...while he was growing up in Techno Reef...he never had a mother...

Because he never needed one...never needed...me...

"My dear? Are you still there?"

I felt a hand rest on top of my heart, and the negative thoughts and memories flew away. I opened my eyes and looked up to see Titus offering me a worried glance.

I straightened myself up and smiled back at him, making sure I didn't look like I just had a traumatic flashback. "I'm here!" I reached forward and patted his heart, too.

"Your little heart is beating so fast..." he said softly. "Are you sure you're okay?"

"I told you, I'm fine," I replied. He brushed a piece of my hair behind my ear and sighed.