eight

We pull up to the hotel JJ works at in John B's van. There is no power on our side of the island and we need the internet if we're going to find the gold.

"All right, keep a look out. We're behind enemy lines," JJ warns as he pulls out his gun.

"Yo, come on, man. Just put it back," John B tells him.

"JJ," I say.

"What? You can never be too careful," JJ tells us.

Pope gets out of the car and leans against the passenger's side door. "Hey, I predict that bringing a weapon to a four-star hotel will likely cause more problems than they solve."

"Thank you, Pope," John B says.

I lean forward between the two front seats. "I swear to God, I'm gonna throw that thing in the ocean, JJ. Put it back."

John B grabs the gun and puts it in the glove compartment.

"There you go," Pope says.

"You can't grab a gun like that," JJ warns. He picks up his work ID. "Can't forget my badge." He gets out and slams the door shut. "Professional busboy."

"So, where are we going now?" Pope questions.

"We're getting on the internet because only rich people have electricity right now," JJ tells him. "This way!" We walk through the kitchen. "Andrew!"

"All right?" Andrew shouts.

"What's up, bro?" JJ greets. JJ picks food up off a plate. "Mama L, good to see you!"

The woman smacks his hand. "Hey, no! JJ!"

We walk out into the lobby. "Mm-hm. See, they got the backup generators going? Kooks don't miss a beat."

JJ leads us to a room where computers are.

Pope rushes towards one. "Sweet Lord, the internet!" He sits down in a chair. "I've missed you."

"Let me get in there. Gotta check out my Insta models," JJ states.

Kie gives him a look. "We don't have time for that."

"Hey. Hey! Hey! My Dad's map," John says as he puts it down next to Pope.

"Coordinates, please?" Pope asks.

"34° 57' 30" north. 75° 55' 42" west,"John B says. Pope plugs the numbers into the computer. "Okay. Boom, continental shelf right there."

"Well, if it's off the deep end, it's not gonna be much of a treasure hunt, is it?" Pope questions. John B sighs. "Come on, baby. Come on."

I can hear people talking and laughing in the hallway.

"Shit, it's on the high side. It's only 900 feet," John B states.

"That's not too deep," JJ states.

"Is that doable or something?" Kie asks.

"Yeah, totally doable, "JJ assures.

"Will we be taking your personal submarine?" Pope asks.

"How do you know this, Mr. Dive Master?" I question.

"The salvage yard. They got a drone that can drop 1,000. It has a 360 camera and everything. It's for, like, deep dives and stuff. It's exactly what we need," JJ tells us.

"Can your dad get his grimy little hands on that?" John B asks.

"Well, my dad's grimy little hands got his ass fired. I guess the salvage captain frowns on showing up shitfaced, turns out. But the drone's there. It's in the impound yard out back," JJ informs us.