Homecoming

If his heart had been troubled before, it was certainly more perturbed now. Like Asadullah had said, they had left exactly an hour later with his brother now somewhat more sober and mellow. There was a kicked puppy look on his face as he kept sending side glances towards the girl who had chosen to walk beside Asadullah.

Imad never thought he would see the day when the girl would willingly walk beside the man she was so frightened of. Not that she was not wary  - she walked behind them - looking cautious and making sure to keep herself a good few feet away.

In front of them all, an injured Khalid trudged. Sometimes he would stop and fall to his feet in pain causing Asadullah to shove him forward. Usually, Fahad wouldn't spare the opportunity to manhandle Khalid, but after their man-to-man discussion, he was in low spirits. Not to mention, he also sported a black eye courtesy of Imad.

And this was the reason for Imad's distress. Never before had he struck his older brother and Allah knows how many times Fahad would have deserved it. Yet, this time was different. Seeing Fahad drunk and aggressive only foreshadowed how similar he was to their father. He too would get drunk and strike their mother resulting in her eloping with the first man who had showed her some basic respect. Imad didn't blame her, yet Fahad always did.

But he would be a liar if he was to say that was all there was. He couldn't forget the vulnerability of the girl - first at the hands of Khalid and then his own mirror image. Did she now see him on the same level as Fahad and Khalid? Would she remember his face and now only see Fahad's monstrous glare? For the first time, Imad wished that he didn't have an identical twin.

"Have mercy, bhai! (brother!)" Khalid suddenly wheezed out, collapsing to the ground on his face.

Behind him, Asadullah rolled his eyes before pulling him up from the back of his collar. "You showed no mercy so why should I?"

Khalid moaned in pain and then fixed the girl with his wild eyes. Escaping the clutches of Asadullah, he crawled like a crazed scorpion towards her. She jumped back, fear and pity in her green orbs at the sight of him. "Say you forgive me now! Otherwise you'll wish you had."

Nazli shivered at the threat in his voice. Even in his sorry state, he did not lose the look of authority in his eyes. Maybe it was a family trait - and perhaps the reason why Asadullah too never cracked or showed any weakness.

But she also felt completely sorry for him. No one deserved the agony he was clearly suffering from, so she nodded - her green eyes large with the mercy that Baba Zaman had instilled within her. Nazli, remember my words. Mercy and forgiveness are greater than revenge.

Khalid glared, his eyes hardening on her even more than before. "Say the words, you stupid girl! Say you forgive me!"

Her eyes widened in shock. Say the words? How could she when she hadn't said a word in so many years? Not that she didn't want to - how many times had she tried speaking? Even Shahrazad had left no stone unturned in her quest to regain Nazli's voice. One time, Shahrazad had pretended that she was dying and even that had not unlocked her tongue.

Khalid moved again, this time very aggressive. "You little-!"

"She's mute." Imad interjected, stepping between them and kicking the man back towards the ground.

Suddenly three pairs of eyes were scrutinising her and she couldn't help but feel that she'd rather faced Khalid's wrath. Anything would be better than exposing her vulnerability to the whole world. But something other than a mix of frustration and gratitude was blooming in her heart. The sight of Imad standing between her and Khalid made her heart skip in ways it had never before. It was a strange feeling - it made her sick and elated at the same time. She couldn't wait to get back home and forget about everything. But maybe . . . just maybe she would have to try very hard to forget him.