Nightmare

The time for their impending departure was approaching. They had spent the previous nine days in packing their belongings and breaking down tented houses. Each time a house fell, Shah Zaman's heart broke a little more. His beloved village, his home, his legacy had fallen to that bastard Sikandar Khan. He had won . . . just as he said he would.

Another two caravans set off from the valley - the penultimate ones to leave. Shah Zaman knew the risk of moving from the valley as a whole so he had arranged for people to leave in small chunks. Luckily for them, a tribe on good terms with theirs had offered them refuge until they managed to buy another piece of land to resettle. Shah Zaman knew that buying land wouldn't be an issue - that spawn of the devil, Asadullah had sent a man with multiple briefcases of cash. A day later, one hundred war horses and ponies, plus healthy, fat sheep had arrived on their land. Shah Zaman and the rest of the villagers had seethed in anger at the sight of the animals. No matter how good they looked, they could never be a good trade for what they were giving up.

Shahrazad rushed over, her small face red with exercise. "Baba! Why are we the last ones to leave? I want to go already!"

Shah Zaman glared furiously. "Stupid girl! You are so eager to leave your home, is that it?"

"No! No . . . well, I . . ." She blushed furiously. Her father did not know about her secret desires to leave the valley and see the world beyond. She doubted her new home would be any different from this place, but still she couldn't help, but feel a great excitement in her heart. This had been her ultimate dream - to leave the Forbidden Valley and explore!

Shah Zaman luckily did not prod. "Have you convinced Nazli?"

The girl shook her head gravely. "No. Baba, Nazli has every right to refuse! She does not love Hamza and-!"

"Love!" The leader of the tribe scoffed disgusted. "Love is a luxury our people cannot afford! Certainly not Nazli! You and I may believe her tale of being untouched, but the rest of the village does not! She has no reason to refuse Hamza and I will certainly not accept her refusal. She will marry him. Make my words clear to her."

And before Shahrazad could open her mouth to protest, Shah Zaman was stomping away angrily. But just before he entered into his tent for perhaps, the final time, thunder rolled far off in the sky. The wind howled unusually and far off in the distance an eagle went crying. His heart sank with dread - knowing that nature had never lied to him before. Today, again nature was warning him . . . of an impending doom.

***

Entry 1:

Shahrazad said I should keep a diary . . . to better express my feelings. I am not sure how it works, but I promised her I would try.

Nightmares have become more frequent now. Before they were of my mother and father, but ever since that incident, there is only one that repeats itself over and over again.

I see him.The monster. Asadullah. He appears from beyond the valley . . . with a lot of men. His eyes are murderous with blood and he looks nothing less than the grim reaper himself. We, the villagers are helpless against him as he rips open everyone's chests. I see Shahrazad struggling to fight - a battle she cannot win.

Hamza stands firm in the face of danger - ever ready to be the shaheed (martyr) that he always fantasized about.

Baba Zaman makes many offers - all of them rejected before he too decides that fighting is inevitable. They all fight . . . but for what?

Before I can find out, my nightmare ends and I awaken . . .

***

Entry 2: