TRAPPED

Year 2020

date: 5 August

City:Chinhoyi

Time: 1pm

It's year 2020 and everything is as dead as an old man stuck in ice. I have been trapped in a city that's as dead as a ghost town. There is no life here ,literally everything is dead because the pandemic took it all. COVID 19 they called it,they should have given it a much more deserving name like the hell bringer or just death because that is what it is . You are wondering why I am still alive, well I am the one that the scientists and doctors call "carrier of the key cell". A key cell is a rare body cell that attacks and destroys any virus as soon as it enters the body. Yeah I used to call myself lucky but I don't think I am so lucky anymore. Being alone in the world is as good as being dead.

My thoughts were quickly ruined by a growling sound outside. I grabbed my gun and hid behind the door. You want to know why I have a gun? Well when I said COVID 19 should have been called hell or death I really meant it,the pandemic did not just kill it's victims but after 3 months it's victims rose from the dead as fucking zombies. Oh yeah,zombies are fucking real.These zombies are nothing like what you have seen in "The Walking Dead" tv show ,these zombies are much more faster and hungrier for flesh.They can smell the human flesh from a mile away .

As soon as the zombie entered I pointed my gun at it's head and as soon as I released my bullet it's brains blew out of its head staining the walls behind it .It was a disgusting scene, the smell of the rotten body spread and filled the entire room-I covered my mouth and nose with my mask.I felt like throwing up the tinned fish I had eaten for breakfast.I ran out of the house and immediately I was met by two more zombies,they had worms sticking out of their dead skin and mud staining the rest of their bodies.This meant that these zombies were fresh out of the grave.Damn it ,it only meant that they were ten times faster than the normal zombies.

I made a U-turn and ran back into the house dodging every furniture that was in my way.I felt them behind me growling and reaching out for me .They might be faster but I was cleverer ,I threw my body on the floor and rolled under a table.I heard one of the zombies crushing onto the table,that was the goal. I ran faster and missed the other zombie's grip by an inch. I looked around,I was trapped in the fucking bathroom and the zombie was heading towards me.I had no option ,I raced towards the window and threw myself at it without thinking twice.I crashed into it and my body fell outside.

I cried as I felt the pain of tiny shards of glasses stuck in my skin but I didn't have time to stop or think about it.I had to run or I was as good as dead. I saw a few more zombies in the street ,as soon as they smelt my blood they were on my tail like the real predators that they were. I had to find shelter. This was Chinhoyi, a small fucked up city and there was only one place full of shelter. The city center and it was close.I could hide in a mall or shop. I ran making sure to dodge the main road because God knows I would have my intestines spilling out of my stomach if I took that zombie infested route.

I was so tired of running but rule number one was "never stop running" I said out loud as I entered a mall. Of course it wasn't empty but I did not pay attention to the zombies that chased after me instead I looked for an empty room. I opened and closed the doors of rooms infested with my predators until I found one empty room. Lucky for me there was a key,I immediately locked the door. I breathed in and out slowly trying to catch my breath and steady my heart rate before I passed out.

I was about to sit on the ground when it appeared in front of me,I groaned "Not again".I stood up straight as it attacked and I dodged to the left. It ran after me,I took the nearest chair and threw it at the zombie.The zombie crushed onto the floor and its fragile bones broke releasing a loud crackling,grotesque sound.I cringed as I quickly tried grabbing my gun.

I almost had it but that was until it grabbed my leg and I slipped crushing onto the hard floor. I tried kicking it,the goal here was not to get myself bit because one bite could mean I had a higher chance of catching the virus fast.I kicked its face hard and broke its neck,I kicked its hands but the effort was useless I had to get it to release me.I reached for my gun again,aimed it at the zombie's head and pulled the trigger. Its head blew into tiny peaces,its skull went spluttering all over the floor.My stomach couldn't handle its contents anymore ,I threw up on the floor with no shame at all.It was no man's shop anyways.

I got up and screamed when the door went crushing on the floor,there was a whole group of zombies ready to attack me.I ran and climbed onto a shelf full of untouched clothes.I kicked them onto the ground as I climbed higher and higher.The zombies tried reaching for me.I looked to my left and right. "Oh shit" this was it I was trapped with no where to hide and the damn things where shaking and breaking the wooden shelves with their bare hands not minding their fingers which were breaking with the effort put into reaching for me.

I closed my eyes as I aimed the gun at my head .I would rather take my own life than to be eaten alive by zombies.I breathed in and held my breath as I got ready to pull the trigger 'one,two...' before I reached to three there was an explosion.I opened my eyes and widened them as I watched the zombies get shot down by a group of men in black .

"Are you okay?"one of the men asked as I let him carry me off the top shelve. I was in shock,there were real people here with me-saving me.

"Who are you?" I asked ignoring his question

He put me down "A key carrier and so are you..."he said stabbing a needle into my neck and everything went black. I didn't see that one coming.

A SHORT STORY BY IVANA VANESSA JAMESON