The Real Promise

Another date had ended. Another long night that felt so short. Almost two years had ended after their break of three years. Still they hadn't had enough of eachother. Three years was a long time Zuko had a lot of issues covered. This was good for them they had way more time to spend together. However every night still felt short. Still wasn't enough. Zuko was staring at Mai's eyes so deep that he could see her heart. He was worried. He was really worried that he would lose her again.

Zuko: Mai, can we talk for a while?
Mai: Zuko we've been talking for hours.
Zuko: Yes I know but... seriously. You remember seven years ago I made you a promise. That I would never break up with you. Ever.
Mai: And you kept it.
Zuko: Mai you were right. We both needed alone time for a while. And that while helped this country too. But it hasn't been easy. At all. Everyday I was distracted by work but every night it was you on my mind. And still I can't keep it off of you. Off of... possibilites.
Mai: Zuko-
Zuko: I know this isn't an easy promise to make. I know you you won't promise me someting you won't keep but I just have to ask you-
Mai: Zuko. Look into my eyes.

Zuko looked up at Mai's eyes with his. He could see his reflection in hers. She smiled. So sincerely.

Mai: I've had enough time without you. And now I know the times we're going to have will never be enough. Zuko you keep growing and that's what I love about you. The thing is... I wanna grow with you.
Zuko: Mai I-

Mai grabbed Zuko's hand with both of hers and took a step to be closer to him. her head rose as he became taller in her perspective. Zuko was looking at her as he was at the edge of crying. Could it be?

Mai: For the rest of my life. I'll be so glad to make that promise to you but I wanna do so much more. I want to seal it. Only if you seal it with me.

Zuko went numb. He started tearing up but he wasn't aware of it. He would've never guessed this conversation would end like this. He was ready for so many variations of it. But not this one.

Mai: Lord Zuko of the Firenation. Will you marry me?

At this point this was real. Zuko wasn't sure if he wasn't dreaming but what just happened was real. And Mai. All those times with him and waiting for his answer was longer then all together.

Zuko: Yes.

Zuko tried his hardest to get himself together again before he grabbed Mai's hand tighter to lift her up on her feet to hug her with his other hand.

Zuko: YES!

Mai laughed before Zuko attacked on her lips. She gave all of herself into him like her life depended on it. They started laughing at eachother as Mai was swiping the tears of Zuko's face gently with her thumb.

Mai: Why are you crying?
Zuko: I love you.
Mai: I love you too.