We Got This

Mai: WHAT?
Healer: You're pr-
Mai: I heard you.
Healer: Congratulations. Do you want the celebrations to sta-
Mai: CELEBREATIONS? WHAT THE HELL MY HUSBAND DOESN'T KNOW!
Healer: I'm sorry.
Mai: Don't be.

Mai got one of her knifes out and held it to the healer's throat. She was terrified. She didn't know what to do. She just wanted it not to spread at the moment.

Mai: don't tell anybody. No one. Not one soul. I've taken out dosens of firebenders with my knifes taking you out will not be hard. At all.
Healer: Of course not ma'am.
Mai: Good.

The poor woman was terrified. She thought she almost died for telling the firelady her good news. Mai of course would not kill her. She only did her job. But Mai wasn't feeling calm. She felt anything but calm. She stormed out from the room and started running around the palace. She yelled Zuko's name a few times but the palace seemed so quiet. She kept running until she finally found a guard. She grabbed him from the collar and took her knife throwing position with the knife she only now realised she cut her hand with from squeezing too hard.

Guard: Ma'am your han-
Mai: Have you seen Zuko.
Guard: N-no.

She left him alone and kept running. She almost beat up a few of them until she heard his voice.

Zuko: Mai? Your hand. Is everything fine?
Mai: Yes. Maybe. I don't know. No. Not at all.
Zuko: Mai-
Mai: My hand isn't important. Nothing is. No everything. is.
Zuko: What's wrong?
Mai: Can we go to a private room? Please? Now!
Zuko: Okay. Let's go to our room. I'll bandage your hand there.
Mai: My hand is FINE.

Zuko was confused. Really confused but mostly afraid and concerned. He had never seen Mai like this. Years of knowing her he had never seen her hand bleed from her knife. He tried to take the knife from her but she hit his hand. A couple of times.

Zuko: Come on Mai. Give me the knife.
Mai: No.
Zuko: You're hurting yourself.
Mai: I'm fine. I'm not but It's fine.
Zuko: Mai calm down and give me the knife. I'll give it back.
Mai: I said no.

She was shaking. Squeezing the knife she'd already gotten her hand deeply cutten with. Zuko couldn't take it he knew she could eighter hurt him or herself more. Seeing her like that, he didn't really care about himself but she was unstable. Unfocused. They finally arived to their room. Zuko ordered the guards to leave them alone before Mai could take them out. He carefully seated her on the bed. Before he sat infront of her, he grabbed some alcohol, a wide ribbon and two pieces of fabric. He gently tried to hold her hand.

Mai: Don't touch it.
Zuko: Come on Mai.
Mai: No.
Zuko: Please give me your hand. I'll be gentle.
Mai: No.
Zuko: Please. Mai look at me. Give me your hand it's gonna get infected.

Mai finally gave into Zuko. Zuko gently held her hand and made her palm face him. First he took her knife, carefully wiped off the blood with one piece of fabric and put it on the bed. Then he grabbed the other piece of fabric and put some alcohol on it "This will hurt a little. I'm sorry" Mai yelled her guts out the moment Zuko gently pressed the fabric on her hand. She kept yelling as Zuko cleaned the blood of her palm while disinfecting it.

Mai: STOP! Stop. Please.
Zuko: It's okay I'm done. It's done.

Zuko finally gently wrapped her hand with the ribbon and tied it.

Zuko: There. See? It's fine.

He looked up to see her eyes in tears. She looked freaked out. He mildly put a piece of hair behind her ear and carresed her cheeck.

Zuko: Hey calm down. I'm here. Do you want to tell me what's going on?
Mai: Zuko I- I-
Zuko: It's okay take your time.

Tears were still streaming down her face. Zuko was softly wiping them with his thumbs as they were falling down. Mai took a deep breath and finally started explaining.

Mai: I wasn't feeling fine this morning. For like a w- weak really. So I went to the healers thinking I was sick but-
Zuko: Mai?
Mai: I- I'm-
Zuko: Are you okay?
Mai: Zuko I'm pregnant.

Zuko immediately froze. His wife, the queen was expecting. From him. He was confused about Mai and, he of course still was, but now he was also confused about what to feel. He could've stayed like that if Mai hadn't snapped him back to reality.

Mai: SAY SOMETHING! WHAT NOW? ARE YOU GOING TO BANISH ME?
Zuko: M- Mai why would I banish you?
Mai: I don't know I don't-
Zuko: Mai everything is fine. Calm down.
Mai: Well, are you happy?

Zuko stared into her sparkling eyes. He felt something. He couldn't name it it was something else. He loved her. He loved her so much he didn't think he could love her more but here they were. Was he happy? Of course he was happy. He was at his happiest. He tenderly smiled at her.

Zuko: I've never been happier Mai.
Mai: Wait- really?
Zuko: I couldn't be.

Mai threw herself on him. She finally felt comfort as he covered her back with one hand, and held her head with the other. They were the rulers of the whole fire nation and Zuko was the only thing that could make her feel this warm. She didn't know what she would do without him.

Zuko: Mai?
Mai: Yeah?
Zuko: Why did you freak out like that?
Mai: I'm scared. Zuko I'm terrified. I haven't had the best mother figure growing up. It feels wrong to say it I- don't want to turn out like her.
Zuko: My father banished my mom, burned me at thirteen, put immense presure on my sister at fourteen, tried to burn the whole world.

Mai chuckled. It was so relieving for Zuko to see her smile.

Zuko: It seems like we'll know exactly what not to do.
Mai: Yeah. But you have Iroh. You have your mom.
Zuko: Mai. Whoever I have, you do too. You are my family as well as theirs. Besides, I've watched you look over your brother for years. Believe me. You're gonna be a great mom.
Mai: The way you care for Kiyi... Zuko I have all my trust in you. Maybe we will figure this out.
Zuko: Hey. We got this.

Zuko held both her hands with one of his hand and put the other under her jaw. lightly lift her face and kissed her. The softest he had ever kissed her.