01. NEW SURROUNDINGS

BEAUTIFUL NIGHTMARE

CHAPTER ONE: NEW SURROUNDINGS

"RIVER?"

The quiet girl sat in the window seat on the second floor of the house worry eating away at her insides, it was Ashley, she was there to give her the speech she gave her every time, how she hoped she wouldn't have to see her return to the orphanage again or how she hoped this home would work out. They never did. And she'd grown used to that.

It had become routine for the sixteen-year-old, she couldn't imagine a life apart from bouncing from each foster home before she was sent back to the orphanage, it was something that had started when she was young and had carried on into her late teen years.

"River."

The girl turned away from the window her eyes glazed over from the chemicals she'd been using twenty minutes prior, "she's here."

Several thoughts ran through the brunettes head one of them being how she knew this was yet again just another temporary visit away from the orphanage. Ashley eyed her expression for a brief moment before plopping a bag down on the floor beside her.

She flicked her eyes to the bag the small emblem on the front reminding the girl that it belonged to her. She slipped out of the window seat her small feet padding across the wooden flooring as she reached down to grab her bag, Ashley watched as she did this her eyes alone pleading that she try and make things work.

As usual, River did her best to keep from looking at Ashley knowing it would only set her aflame with guilt. The older girl stepped aside so the reluctant teen had full access to the wooden staircase that laid in front of her. Ashley brought her hand up to give the girls shoulder a gentle squeeze her hand never making contact with the fabric covering it as River moved away from her in a single swift motion.

The older girl seemed somewhat hurt over this action but let it go, she watched with a sad smile as the troublemaking teen descending the stairs, the crown of her head being the last bit of her she saw before she disappeared completely to the first floor.

The keeper- the woman who watched the orphans; Marie- was already talking to the woman she was going to be sending River home with that evening, the majority of the details had already been worked out, the woman would check in with Marie every few days giving her updates and such, when she started having problems with River was when she would send her back.

Both women turned at the noise of footsteps, both sets of eyes stopped at the sight of the teen standing on the final step, she lingered there hoping that maybe if she didn't take the last step she'd be able to avoid going with the strange woman.

Marie waved her over offering a smile, "River, meet Ms. Lebanoia." the teen let her eyes roam over the woman trying to figure out what her deal was, she was wearing scrubs- she had to work at a hospital or small clinic of sorts, she was currently wearing them and it was only five in the afternoon, she was probably heading off to work soon- she had no rings occupying any of her fingers; she wasn't married, but she didn't forget that she could possibly have a partner waiting for her at home.