Chapter Three

Karma’s a Bitch

Chapter Three

 “We did what you said,” Poison breathed, seeming a bit on edge. Leaves were weaved into her glossy purple hair, the thread-like texture no longer neat. Dirt was on their faces and grass stains on there clothes. 

 “What did you do with it?” Twiddling a chopstick in my hand, I scrutinized them. It shouldn’t of taken them that long. 

 “We uh-”

 Bane cut her off. “We buried him; that’s why we’re so dirty.”

 I nodded, still staring at the siblings. Even if they had been digging a hole, it wouldn’t have taken a couple of kids, trained as ninja, that long. But, for their safety reasons, it may be best if I didn’t know. 

 Karma knows how troublesome it is to rain newbies. So, so boring. 

 “Alright. Now, pay up.”

 “What?”

 “I told you I’d let you pay for my lunch. And, it’d be best if you did. The clerk may be scared of me, but there’s certainly no holding him back from slaughtering you two.”

 Bane reached for his wallet, “dammit.”

~       ~        ~

 “We’re ready,” I told him, taking my usual seat on the desk. The man sighed, his aging face pulling down into a frown- the creases in his already wrinkled skin deepening. 

 He could at least act more grateful. I was trying, wasn’t I?

 “I asked you not to use your methods in the village, Karma.”

 I huffed, folding my arms over my chest. Nothing ever got past this man, did it? “I’m in a hurry.”

 “They need more time-”

 “I don’t have time!” I burst out, momentarily shocking myself. My hands had slammed down on the dark chestnut wood, causing a few papers to flutter off. Following after it was a resounding slam that had cut through what would have been a peaceful environment. 

 Oops. 

 The elder, however, didn’t even flinch. 

 I slid away from the smooth surface, rubbing my arm with the palm of my hand. Maybe the friction would protect me from the cold atmosphere I had created. 

 “I-I just…” I sighed, “this means a lot to me. I need to do this one.”

 “It’s unauthorized, and you know it.”

 “I know-”

 “You’re not ready, Karma.”

 “I am!” Again, my voice had risen. I don’t know where this anger was coming from, but the need that was flowing through my veins wouldn’t let me back down. He had never turned me down, before, and I didn’t understand why he was trying to, now. 

 “You’re not going. Not until you’re ready.”

 Again, my hands had hit the surface of the desk. Only, this time, it did not surprise me. Neither did the anger. 

 He was underestimating me. 

 My voice dropped as my eyes narrowed. I had to refrain myself from digging my nails into the hardwood. “I will go- with or without your consent. The only difference is, if you keep telling me that I can’t go, I won’t be brining the. Make up your mind, old man.” I snarled, not bothering to hide my anger. 

 I didn’t train those incestual brats for nothing. And, I’d be damned before my efforts went up in flames. 

 His green eyes blazed, trying to intimidate me. But, I wasn’t going to step down. He was refraining me from my job. It was the only thing I had to live for, he couldn’t take that away from me. 

 “You’re too important to this village. Why can’t you understand that?”

 “I’m stronger than you think! Why are you doubting me?”

 “If anyone knows your abilities, it’s me. I kno-”

 “Then, why are you holding me back?” I cried out, feeling the urge to tear at something. The silky locks that tumbled over my shoulders being the closest thing in my reach. “Please,” I breathed, “I need this.”

 “Karm-”

 “Please.”

 The old man sighed, defeated. He knew I wouldn’t give up. And, as he caved, it was proven that my will had been stronger than his. 

 “You’re taking them.” The Elder’s voice was stern, trying to uphold his authority. But, as long as I had been permitted to go, I didn’t care. 

 I had won. 

 Almost happily, I skipped to the door, tearing it open to reveal the pair. 

 Bane had to grab the back of Poison’s shirt to keep her from tumbling in. 

 “We’re going!” I clapped, a smile adorning my flushed cheeks. 

 Bane shot a worried glance to his sister who had slightly twitched beside him. “She acts like a teenage girl should when getting a boyfriend, not setting out to kill someone.”

!~*~*~*~*!

Idk. I like Karma ok. She’s cute in that homicidal way. You know. My thumb hurts so sorry for mistakes bai.