twenty eight

Song: Dissolve
by Absofacto
(I can imagine this song playing over this chapter if that makes sense lol)
____________________

Kyle's POV

"Kyle, you must train. You're weak, not cut out for this."

Shadow Weaver spat across the table. I could feel my grip on my uniform tightening but I didn't let her see that. Rogelio was glaring at her from next to me, in trouble once more.

"We... we didn't do anything wrong."

I dared. Her fingers curled up and she dragged her nails down the table before her, the scratching sound filling my ears and making me feel sick. Rogelio placed his hand on my knee underneath it, away from her view, while she started to scold us again.

"Don't take that tone with me, cadet."

She grumbled. I glowered at the table separating us and wished it would disappear. I wished I was strong enough to just fight her for all of the horrible things she said about me and Rogelio.

Instead I let her swipe at us. A red streak of magic slashed across both my face and Rogelio's, cutting our cheeks. She sent us out.

I reached up to touch my new wound but Rogelio took my wrist and lowered my hand again, taking it in his as we walked down the corridor. The other cadets knew what our marks meant, and seeing us walking with joint hands pieced everything together.

"Shadow Weaver's going to kill us for this."

I whispered, bowing my head to hide from my friend's gazes. Rogelio shrugged and squeezed my hand tighter.

Neither of us thought we were going to survive.

-

My eyes open suddenly and I'm startled awake. It's still dark and the walls are glowing navy, which reminds me of where I am. I don't sit up. Instead I stay lying with my head on Rogelio's arm, staring at the ceiling in hope that sleep will find me again.

It doesn't, so I change my position slightly and try again. My neck aches slightly from the tiny bruises but other than that, nothing happens. I let out a sigh of annoyance and resort to gazing at Rogelio to calm my nerves. He looks peaceful as he sleeps, much gentler and much more sweet then he lets on while he's awake. As he breathes his chest rises and falls quite quickly but he still remains silent.

I close my eyes again and dig my palms into my eye sockets.

So much has happened, and I haven't even let it all sink in yet.

An alien ship landed on Etheria, Rogelio and I were taken hostage inside of it, I was bombarded with the sudden news that I'm He-Man, and that I have a sister. Not any sister, Adora. My entire home was blown to bits.

And now I'm here, lying in his arms with insomnia.

I wish I could just dissolve, slowly. Dissolve into the bed, dissolve into the air, dissolve away from the mess that I call my life. I've heard of people saying they wish the floor could swallow them whole, but what would that do? What happens after you were swallowed? Do you fall into a pit of worry and guilt, or do you suck it up and carry on?

I'm overthinking again.

I'm about to try and sleep when I hear what sounds like footsteps outside my door. It's faint, very faint, but distinct. The pattering gets even softer before getting just as loud again, giving me no choice but to investigate. I slip out of bed and tread lightly to the door.

I open it soundlessly and raise my eyebrows when I see who it is.

"Adora?"

I whisper. She smiles awkwardly and hugs herself, obviously not knowing what else to do. I look over my shoulder to make sure Rogelio is still asleep and beckon for her to follow me out onto the small balcony attached to the room. We creep out and Adora lets out a loud sigh.

"Sorry. I couldn't sleep."

She says. I nod and turn to admire the view.

"Yeah, me neither. I haven't gotten a full night's sleep in ages."

Adora frowns with concern and runs her fingers through her hair. It's strange seeing it down, especially flowing so effortlessly past her shoulders, but it's almost refreshing.

"What's up?"

I ask. She shrugs and leans on the balcony ledge with her elbows, letting her hands hold her face up.

"Honestly... I'm not sure. It's all just so overwhelming. I couldn't think of anybody else that would be awake."

I nod and lean the same way she is on the ledge.

"How did you know I wasn't asleep?"

She laughs quietly, still focused on the scenery.

"I dunno. Back in the Horde, it was always you left awake. Whenever me and Catra were up talking you were always reading a book, or watching Rogelio sleep."

I laugh and scratch my neck.

"Okay, well that makes me sound like a creep."

Adora laughs and nudges me, a goofy smile on her face. After a few seconds her smile fades, and she turns back to stare at the trees.

"It's crazy that we have to go through with that plan for the ship. If we're even a minute to slow..."

She shakes her head to get rid of the thought. I stare at the trees across from the castle and watch as their leaves rustle in the breeze, inviting small flying birds and other creatures to swoop around their branches. Adora reaches over and puts a hand on my shoulder.

"It's nice knowing I'm not completely alone in all of this."

She says. I nod and turn to her, my smile small but meaningful.

"Yeah, I understand."

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Short chapter! Sorry I'm rly struggling with writers block and a complete lack of motivation but I'm working on it :)

-Rose 🌞