chapter eighteen

~Sunday, November 22nd~

It was the middle of the night, I felt a tap on my shoulder, it was enough to wake me up.

"Dada..?" I heard. I slowly opened my eyes and saw Alex standing next to the bed.

"Baby?" I said, my voice sounding groggy. "What are you doing awake?" I sat up in the guest room bed and yawned, holding out my arms.

"Missed dada.." Alex said as he pouted out his lip and sleepily ambled into my arms.

I stroked his curly dirty-blonde hair and pulled him into my chest. The warmth of being with him felt just as amazing as it always did. "Dada's right here sweetheart." I told him, holding him in my arms. He held onto me and rested his head down on my shoulder. "Let's get you back to sleep."

Standing up from the bed, I picked Alex up into my arms, carrying him back in my bedroom. After I put Alexander back down in bed I lied beside him, whispering sweet things, covering him with soft and gentle kisses. His golden eyes found mine and he giggled, only my baby could laugh such a sweet sound. His little face glowed from a light within, and his small fingers grasped mine, he held tight. Somehow it felt like he knew I needed comfort in the dead silence of night. I held him to my chest, I never wanted to let this precious bundle go.

I decided that I'd lay with him until he fell asleep. I wished I could sleep with him, I wanted him to be able to wake up in my arms.

"Close your eyes." I spoke softly and calmingly.

I could tell he was tired when he immediately did as he was told.  "Good night, my love."

"Night night da-dada." Alex replied with a bit of struggle.

Not too long after, Alex fell asleep. I frowned, really not wanting to leave him. I stayed for a bit longer, until I caught myself nearly falling asleep; so I got up carefully without waking him up. Before I left my room, I gently kissed his forehead and closed the door on the way out. I yawned once again and headed to the guest room, I fell asleep right away.

•••

Alexander and I finished a late breakfast the next morning at around 11.

"Do you want to go on a walk?" I asked

Alex nodded his head and smiled wide. "Okay! Let's go!" He sprung out of bed and giggled leaving my room. I chuckled and followed him out. He walked down the stairs quickly.

"Slow down." After I told him that, he instantly slowed down, listening to me.

We both took ourselves to the front door and put our shoes on to go.

My mom headed to the front door, coming from the living room. "Where are you going?"

"We're going on a walk, we'll be back in a bit." I answered.

"Okay, have fun." She smiled at us and went back to doing her own thing.

I opened the front door for Alexander, letting him go out before me.

"Thank you!" He giggled, walking outside.

My lips curled up into a smile and I walked out behind him. As we started strolling up the street, I held his hand, intertwining our fingers.

When I took my lighter and a pre roll of marijuana out of my pocket and put it up to my mouth, he looked up at me, furrowing his eye brows in confusion with his head tilted. After I lit the joint with the orange flame, smoke came out of my mouth when I exhaled.

"Do you want to try?" I asked him.

Almost immediately, he shook his head no.

"Okay, you don't have to." I said as I inhaled more indica into my body then placing my lighter back into the pocket of my coat.