A Third?

My heels clicked down the pristine hallway as Harper hummed at my side, her ponytail swishing from side to side as she skipped alongside me.

Although it was the weekend, there was never a dull moment around here and right when Harper and I decided to pay Ragnar a visit, the King had other plans as one of his guards intercepted our path, requesting that we present ourselves in the throne room immediately.

I instantly regretted bringing Harper with when the doors to the throne room opened.

Her humming came to an abrupt halt and her skipping turned into shaking behind me when she saw the huge figure standing between two castle guards.

From the back view, it was obvious that a Viking stood before the King. The massive size of his muscles and back gave his heritage away. Surprisingly though, he didn't have the characteristic long hair like most Viking men. His black hair was cut short and unnatural from the usual blonde hair that Viking men had.

Harper let out a shriek as her arms flung around me from behind and she crushed herself to my back. Her little noise drew the attention to us.

"Acer." The King nodded, a cruel smile gracing his face. I always felt a bit of whiplash when King Samuel was forced to put on his sadistic mask.

My eyes moved from the King to the male figure and I watched the back of the Viking, how every muscle in his body tensed.

It's funny how the roles switch... In the wild, the Vikings rule and they don't fear anything or anybody. But in this throne room, and by his self, the Viking knew that I was the top predator.

My eyes flicked to Locke who was standing to the side of the Kings raised podium. Soren leaned against a pillar not too far from the main action, watching everyone in the room intently.

"King Samuel." I nodded my chin respectfully.

I took slow steps, allowing Harper to remain hiding and shaking behind me, as I walked to the King and turned to face the Viking.

I met amethyst eyes that showed no emotions, even as they traveled up and down my body, pausing on the little arms wrapped around my waist.

"Who's the guest?" I asked the King, my voice slithered with venom as I eyed the Viking.

"Some of my men found him in the Forest." From the emphasis he put on Forest I knew that he meant the Black Forest. My Forest.

"And?" I looked over my shoulder to the King, my brow tilted in question.

"He was alone, ca-"

"You're men found me in my camp." The Viking suddenly boomed, his amethyst eyes glinted with something close to violence as he glared at the King.

If he wasn't a Viking, I might be inclined to enjoy his company and attitude. I mused as I watched the male.

Harper let out a cry when the Viking spoke, her shaking turned to trembling and her arms tightened almost painfully around me.

I turned to Soren, who was wearing a black cloak, though the hood was off. Motioning him to take the cloak off, I was thankful that he handed it to me. I slipped the cloak on, and adjusted Harper so she was tucked into my side so I could rub her back while I figured out who this male was.

"And yet you didn't fight them... Why is that?" The King asked, intrigue coating his words.

"I need to speak with you... in private." His eyes flicked around to all the guards.

The King sighed, seeming to be debating the Vikings request. The King's eyes briefly flicked to me, saying unspoken words.

As the King stalled for me, I turned to Harper and whispered to her. "I have to protect you and I need you to go to Locke... Can you do that?" Gray eyes full of unshed tears met my eyes before she gave me a soft nod.