20. The Plan.

"It's truly horrendous what you've been through, but you're not the only ones that are suffering, and you've still got access to that water." Taking her weight off the cavern wall, Carrion moved closer to appeal to those listening. "We ain't got time to sweet talk, so let me put it out there; what's it gunna take for you lot to help us meet this Doc Idaho? We've got some fuel, some manpower, even some medicine and a doctor of our own." She looked toward Weary, having exaggerated his former title of an ambulance officer.

"As I said, the doors to El Dorado are closed to all outsiders, even us, we have no knowledge of where they are." Uncle replied.

"She's right, I was a doctor before the Big One, let me help your wounded. You also mentioned something about an exchange between Gaswells and the bunker? How do your people negotiate in this trade?" Weary added his voice to the debate.

"Every couple of weeks a convoy from Gaswells comes here to pick up some of our men and takes them to a rendezvous point at the north end of the Gauntlet. Doc's people meet us there, to be sure we're still alive in this hellhole, before they agree to exchange a tanker of water for a tanker of refined gasoline with the Skin Pirates." Tin Lizard answered after a coughing fit had temporarily sapped the energy out of their leader.

"Aye got sumthin' ta say in all dis." Shamrock interrupted. "Now yur boy Idahoe cheated us, me an' Bronzey over 'ere. We helped that man and 'is crew escape from tha gangs, an' they promised us, PROMISED us! that we'd be taken in to that bunker, 'El Dorado' as you all call it. If it weren't for me an' the Bronze, nun of ya would be drinkin' haitch-two, that I can guarantee!"

"What do you mean?" Tin Lizard asked.

"A mean, Idahoe owes us for his very life! He promised us access to that bunker, me mate even died when we kept tha gangs off thar backs, an' what did he do for us? Left us ta rot on the roads while he an' de uthers escaped to their Shangrila! Now, yew claim you know when a man's lyin' Uncle, do you think I'm lyin'?"

"No." Uncle croaked.

"Then hear me out! Okay, so we canna see the bunker. Will you let us come wit yews on this exchange? Let me an' Bronzey speak to the crew from El Dorado at tha rendezvous, they'll remember us, for sure. Let me negotiate fur Carrion an' tha others."

"We can't do that Uncle! What if the Skins discover them, they'll seek retribution against us here in the Junkyards for trying to deceive them, surely?!" Countered Tin Lizard.

"Ya mean the Skin Pirates that let yew all live? They gave yew more mercy than Idahoe gave us when he abandoned us out thar! An what about this lot? Yew gunna let all those people die o' thirst because yew're too scared to give me an' Carrion a chance at talkin' to 'em? If they say otherwise, the crew from El Dorado, than we'll leave ya's all in peace an' go huntin' for haitch-two elsewhere, but fer heaven's sake give us a chance, at least!?"

"We'll lose everything we got here Uncle, if it goes wrong. You can't trust these people! We haven't even got enough ourselves to go sharing it with every stranger that comes out the Never-Never, even if they did take down Blue Tattoo." Tin Lizard warned the man in the tank.

"Yew got it wrong, Tinny!" Shamrock called out. "Aye might be a stranger, but not this man." He raised his finger toward the Nomad. "Yew've already 'eard his name, I know yew all 'ave; aye saw yew all lookin' at 'im when he removed 'is jack'et. He's tha Lion, he's tha one that' all yew'r foe's 'ave been chasin' an they still canna catch 'im!"

"He's right!" Liu exclaimed. "He saved my life in Dogtown, and again when the gang came after us. He's helped us all, he can help you too if you give us a chance!"

"Show 'em Bronzey! Show 'em tha badge!" The Irishman looked back at the silent figure.

Reluctantly, the Nomad reached into his pocket, withdrawing a bronze shield the size of his palm. A five pointed star was emblazoned under the spread of eagle wings, and the motto 'Maintain Right' was conspicuous below the design.

"So what?! He was a cop before the Lawless Times? Plenty of his kind turned against us when the world fell apart, that badge don't mean nothin'!" A voice from the crowd protested.

"Yew're wrong! A road warrior could have 'is pick of any of the gangs, but he keeps 'is nose outta all of them! Yew know why? Because he ain't a marauder, he ain't a vulture like da rest of 'em; an he's still fightin' 'em. He's still a Bronze!"

"I admire your conviction, Irishman, but what's all that prove in helping us or yourselves?" Uncle asked.

"It proves we're all alike, and we're more than capable! We're in this together, fightin' against Zeus an' the Skin Pirates! Help us, an' we can help you all get outta this hole. If ya don't, it's only a matter o' time before Zeus finds El Dorado by 'imself, and then you'll sorely regret havin' let this opportunity slip through yewr fingers Uncle, the day ya coulda had the Lion and Carrion fightin' in your corner!"

"What say you, Lion?" The scarred man in the tank rolled his head to view the Nomad in the mirror.

"I'd rather trade for haitch-two-oh, than kill for it, if that's what your askin'."The Nomad replied. "I made the same offer to Blue Tattoo, now he's dead. Do you wanna trade, or wait 'ere and die as Shamrock predicted?"

* * *

As daylight ebbed to dusk the inner yard of the compound was animate with figures, some repairing the Kenworth truck as others silently observed a council taking place in the watchtower. Mumbles and Shamrock argued through accent and speech impediment, exchanging tools across the exposed enginery of Audrey's open hood with Tiny remaining conspicuously nearby for when they needed help with the heavier lifting.

Carrion, Liu, and the Nomad leant over the desk that had been brought up into the watchtower, listening to Tin Lizard's account of how and where the water exchange would take place.

"The day after tomorrow they'll arrive from the west as they always do, bringing with them two tankers, one full of fuel, the other empty so it can be pumped full of water. Both trucks will be heavily guarded, probably six men each; two in the cabin, four keepin' lookout on the carriage. Then you'll have two more escorts as protection, a pair of men in each."

"That'll leave us with three days, two to get back home once we've completed the exchange. Awfully close." The bald trucker contemplated as she counted on her fingers. "Are they ever late?"

"Never. They've got a lot of thirsty people waitin' for them back at the Gaswells."

"Okay, so we dress in the rags, no offence, that you lot wear and wait for them at the gates?"

"Yes, they'll order you all to climb aboard the empty tanker, then they'll head nor-west until they reach the Gauntlet. Sometime after midday they'll come to an old weigh station and pull over, ordering you all to continue on foot toward the ambassadors from El Dorado. Usually Idaho's people will want to ask us about the conditions here in the Junkyards, to make sure Zeus hasn't broken the deal in keeping us alive. That's your opportunity to plead your case, but you won't have much time, the Skins will get suspicious if you all talk for too long, in case you're making plans.

"Say your piece, then return back to the empty tanker. After that the two groups will connect the hoses and pumps and complete the trade. If it all goes according to the routine, you'll be back here in the Junkyards by sundown..."