Tom Riddle

Tom had been born with 2 tattoos. As far as he was aware only adults had tattoos. Usually they were dangerous mob bosses. You could find them all over London, they hid in the dark alleys.

But he was an orphan not a mob boss. 11 years old and he had 2 tattoos running up his side. One was a small bottle, its name almost indecipherable. Amortentia. It was not a word known in the English dictionary, Tom had checked. But the bottle seemed to have a pinkish, red smoke coming from it leading to a dark black and white image. It rested on his hip bone almost touching his bottom ribs. It was dark, a silhouette of a young boy sat on what looked like an old medical bed, strangely similar to the one in his room at Wool's Orphanage. A snake was coiling around the boy. The picture had a door, the door was slight propped open allowing a small stream of light to highlight the picture.

Then he met Dumbledore, a strange man that set his wardrobe on fire. He told him of a school, a school where he wouldn't be a freak. He told him about his tattoo as well. He had asked what Amortentia was, Dumbledore had said nothing, a pitiful look upon his face. Tom hated that, he had received that look to many times. But to be given that look by a person who was supposed to be like him felt worse.

***

He was standing at the Leaky Cauldron by himself a bag of money in hand. It was a gift from Dumbledore, he told him to use it to buy his school supplies and if he wanted anything else. He asked the bartender to teach him how to go to Diagon Alley. Tapping the bricks soon he was standing upon a colourful street. Noise filling the air, people in robes running down streets. He watched with wide eyed wonder. So this was his new world, it was far better than Wool's he swiftly decided.

He had gotten his wand from Ollivanders, and his books from second hand book stores. Same with his robes. Used but in good condition and at a cheaper price. He turned over the last few coins in his hands. He was told to make a bank account at Gringotts. But he desperately wanted to try some of the food that was in abundance around the bustling streets.

A woman was selling pasties on the side of the street. A decent queue seemed to be there. He decided to go there when he saw the relatively cheap price. Soon he had a pumpkin pasty in hand. Digging into his small meal, he let out an almost manic grin at the taste. Oh he definitely liked this world better.

He made a bank account at Gringotts, the goblins had looked in disdain at his meager few coins that he had dropped on the desk. But never the less had complied, a sort of strange glint in its eye when it checked the coins. But if it was said to be the best bank then Tom wanted to have the best.

When he got back to Wool's he was changing pulling on his night clothes. That when he saw it his tattoo had evolved. Now the image had more colour the black and white door from the dark room had opened to show Diagon Alley. And Tom could spot the pumpkin pasty stall, a small detail to someone but it made Tom grin. His wand was also on his side it was leading up the side of the street. It began at Ollivander's shop and went up the side not interfering with the street. But now it rested just below his heart.

***

On the boat gazing up at Hogwarts his new home was a feeling like no other. He was finally at a place where he wouldn't stand out.

He knew that this moment would become one on his soulmate tattoo. It was too significant not to be.

Walking through the halls he could feel the magic, it was calling him home. Telling him this is where he belonged. The halls were low lit, but it let out a calm ambience rather than a cold sinister one like Wool's Orphanage did.

They were greeted by a teacher who informed them of the houses. Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin. Tom had read it in a book, the houses seemed to be important on a certain level. He had learnt Salazar Slytherin had been a Parselmouth. A person who talked to snakes, he knew he shared that trait.

And when the sorting hat had been placed on his head yelling out 'Slytherin', he had sat and watched as a a snake donned his robes. Soon a girl had sat down beside him. Another first year like himself, who had been watching her robe change as well. But she had turned her head quickly as it finished.

Most of the students at the table stared at him with distaste after glancing at his robes. Muttering 'Mudblood' under their breathe. His eyes furrowed.

"They are saying your blood is dirty since you weren't born to two magical parents." The girl beside him provided as she grabbed a treacle tart.

"But Dumbledore said I was a half blood my Mother was a witch." Tom frowned.

"Doesn't matter to them. If you aren't a pureblood then your dirty" She responded.

"And you what are you?" Tom fired back.

"Pureblood" she said taking another bite of her tart.

"So you think I am dirty as well" Tom glared.

"No, you're magic and that all that matters. What you achieve is more important than blood status." She reached over and grabbed the last pumpkin pasty just as Tom was reaching for it.

She said nothing but she did rip it in half and hand half to him, a lopsided smile on her face.

"I am Y/N L/N" he took the pasty.

"Tom Riddle" and soon after they were speaking, Y/N sharing all she knew of the wizarding world. And Tom listening with rapt fascination, trying to print everything to memory. Not every experience was in a book.

They were talking as if they were old friends, for the first time in his life he felt like he could make a friend. Grinning as they shared the pumpkin pasty between them.

Later when they had entered the Slytherin common room and they were in the security of the dorm rooms. Tom had snagged the bathroom first. He eagerly pulled his shirt to the side. He grinned when he saw the soulmate tattoo had evolved.

Now the wand had cast a spell and Hogwarts now was blended across his chest the boats leading up to the castle. But what surprised him most was that there was another silhouette image on on the centre of his chest. It was his silhouette, he could decipher that. But there was a silhouette of a girl while the outline of their bodies was in black they both wore green and silver scarves (Slytherin colours) the girl was handing him something that seemed to be pasty shaped.

The girl Y/N she was his soulmate. He wanted to tell her. But he had only just met her. He struggled to make friends everyone thought that he was insane, he didn't care it meant they left him alone. But now he was here maybe a companion could be advantageous. The way that Y/N had not looked at him with pity or disgust had been a pleasant surprise. And then she proceeded to teach him about the magic world like it was in his right to know. Which it technically was. Plus she mentioned that being a pureblood brought advantages in the magic world and her revealing that she was one herself could be useful.

So he decided he was going to tell her. Tomorrow, he needed the sleep travelling all day was an uncommon occurrence. So when his head hit the pillow he was consumed by darkness.

***

The next morning he stood anxiously (a new emotion for him) waiting for the girls to leave the dormitory. Every time footsteps were heard he would lift his head, not too quickly but enough that he could survey the room.

Finally Y/N came down. He stood swiftly.

"Waiting for me?" Her tone was teasing.

"Yeah" Tom admitted.

"I assume you want to tell me something" a small smile graced her face. She knew it she just wanted him to say it.

"You're my soulmate" he said.

"I know, come on breakfast is going to be served soon" she began to walk away.

He watched her, had she just brushed it off.

"They serve pumpkin pasties for breakfast." She stopped, turning around to grin at him.

He gave his own grin back, yes he definitely liked the magic world better.