Chapter 13 - Epilogue

As the events unfolded across central Texas, the military and government were sent into a tailspin. After the failed bombing attempt on the warehouse front in Belton, the strategies shifted from one of attack to one of contain.

While the top brass worked feverishly to control media exposure, all branches of the armed forces within a thousand mile radius started closing in to form a parameter. The EMP blast that ended the airstrike expanded for another sixty miles out, which is where heavy artillery, tanks, and a slew of ground support set up camp. Without knowing the full capabilities of the invading aliens, the President of the United States was quickly ushered on to Air Force One and sent airborne to conceal his location.

For the select few people in the world that actually knew what was going on, panic was already setting in. If other countries found out what they were doing down in Texas, it could lead to all-out war. Behind closed doors, the most powerful people in the country scrambled to come up with an idea on how to control the situation. Nothing was off the table, and by 7:30 PM – less than five hours after the first alien made its way to the surface – a plan was decided on that would end with two nuclear explosions going off between the city of Belton and Fort Hood. Any witnesses would be wiped out by the blasts, and the media would be fed whatever story suited the situation best. The aliens actually helped them by taking out all electronic devices from the onset of their invasion. There would be no pesky videos captured on cell phones to disprove the lies they would feed the public.

With the plan in place, the decision was made to launch the missiles at 8:00 PM. Fortunately, the modified EMP blast that took down the aliens' own shields at both locations provided just enough hope to put the plan on hold, a mere ten minutes before execution. The genius of Stephanie Herbert saved the lives of hundreds of thousands of people, although she would never get the opportunity to learn the fruits of her labor.

It took around fifteen minutes after the final EMP for support to arrive at both Fort Hood and the facility in Belton. By the time help showed up at Fort Hood, the surviving members of the military led by Glenn Cornell already had things mostly under control. At the facility in Belton however, the situation was dire. The underground facility was the first priority, where a massive but easily won battle ensued. Soldiers entered the warehouse front and made their way to the bottom floor, where the four survivors were discovered behind piles of dead alien bodies.

The machine that heralded in all of the destruction stood lifeless in its cave, and there were no signs of Stephanie Herbert or Nathan Baily. Jared Renfro was in critical need of medical attention, and rushed to a hospital. Lieutenant David Roland was found southwest of the facility, and was flown along with the four survivors to Camp Bullis. General William Tipton, Glenn Cornell, and Julie Greene, all key players in the battle for Fort Hood, as it would later be called, joined them. As the sun began to rise the following morning, the fighting was over and clean up was underway.

The civilians and the military personnel brought in to Camp Bullis were separated, with both groups kept in highly guarded isolation. Sasha was a shell of herself, still completely consumed by the loss of the only two men she had ever loved. Cameron did her best to console her, but as her mind processed the events that transpired and the repercussions of her decisions, she was sinking into a depression herself.

In the rooms adjacent to Sasha and Cameron, Glenn Cornell and Julie Greene were held. Glenn, who was at first cooperative and demure, grew more frustrated and impatient with each passing day. He desperately wanted to be with his family and mourn the death of his mother in peace.

After three days of gathering statements and conducting tests, Cameron and Sasha were brought into a room with several high ranking military personal along with a couple of men in designer suits. Their silence was cold and unyielding, and Cameron was not sure if they were there to set them free or end their lives. They were asked to take a seat, and complied with the request as Glenn and Julie were brought in to join them. Glenn's attitude was hostile at first, but upon seeing General Tipton standing alongside the high-ranking officers in the room with them, he felt his nerves relax slightly.