The Mechanic's Daughter Part 9: Barbara at her best

At the rally, I saw Barbara at her most powerful. Her voice, too loud and strident while lecturing Nikki and me at home, is just right for a crowd such as this, audible even when the microphone cuts out. I accompanied Nikki to the rally, for emotional support. But really she was invisible here. The room Barbara has secured, in the student building, was standing room only. Mainly there were women students, but also the dean to speak on behalf of the administration and a few men. Barbara's height and physique were imposing on stage. She was wearing the heavy black boots and a belted purple gown, her eyes standing out because of heavy eyeliner and shadow. With her mane of wavy hair, she looked like an avenging goddess.

She told the story of Nikki's rape, omitting any identifying details, and tore a strip off the administration for not investigating. But that wasn't the only message -- she spoke of rape by boyfriends and acquaintances, a crime that any woman could suffer. She described the indignity of the hospital examination of a rape victim; the scoffing attitude of police.

"Women will never be free, will never shake the yoke of male oppression, until they can walk at night without the fear of rape." It was Barbara's full feminist agenda and it made complete sense to me.

The applause was thunderous. The following speaker, a member of the student council, sensibly backed up her demand for an investigation. Dean Stanton, speaking for the university, defended the administration's course so far, saying the university has done its utmost to investigate, but that no one could confirm there had in fact been a rape. It startled me that there was this doubt in his head; that he could think this fuss was coming about over nothing.

"The victim herself is making it difficult by refusing to co-operate," he said.

"Wasn't she drunk?" It was a lone male voice coming from the back of the room. My stomach lurched at the sheer awfulness of the remark. Nikki cringed. A hiss of female disgust from the rest of the audience. I looked to find out who had spoken, but at my height, I couldn't see him. The door of the room opened and several people left.

"The police have told us they have completed their investigation and do not intend to pursue this further. In the absence of an arrest, there is nothing more we can be expected to do. I believe our campus is safe and that women never need to fear here." The dean said this in the kind of soothing voice people use to placate children. We were being patronized.

Women began booing and yelling and it was several minutes before Barbara could restore order and get them to line up behind the two microphones to speak.

The first speaker was my friend Heather, her voice shaking. "There's also a flasher on campus. He pulled up beside me in his car as I was walking in broad daylight and pulled his thing out of his pants so I could see it. Some other women have seen him walking around at night. Everyone in residence is scared."

That explained the big turnout. The dean looked shocked. "Please. Anyone who has seen this man must call the administration."

Barbara interjected. "That's not going to do any good for women walking at night. We need some kind of escort service so women can cross the campus without fear. We need an adequate security system." She got a round of applause.

The next speaker was Nora, a firebrand here just as she was during Barbara's small group. "Why is the administration waiting for the police to act? Everyone knows the police consider rape a minor crime. It's not taken seriously."

She continued with a stream of political invective, critical of the federal government for ignoring women's issues, including equal work for equal pay. Barbara had to cut her off, as other women were lined up behind her waiting to speak. Several women mentioned the flasher, wondering how dangerous he was. One talked about date rape and how men needed to be taught that no meant no. The dean spoke very little, limiting himself to expressions of concern.