21

ROSE

Life was never easy. I had my ups and downs, and although it wasn't perfect, it was never this hard. Of course, my parents were the main reason for all the bullshit that happened in my life. However, it wasn't always that bad.

They had their moments when they were nice, and although it didn't change or erase all the bad things, it made it more bearable. And there was Sam, too. She was most definitely a God sent person for me, like my little guardian.

She knew everything about my family and she always had my back. The main reason my parents didn't like her was because she was always covering for me. I did something stupid, she would say she did it, and it was something I was extremely grateful for.

Maybe this was a good thing.

Maybe my destiny was something else, and this was just a hard lesson I needed to learn.

Or maybe, I was crying because deeply inside of me I knew that all of this was nothing more than bullshit I tried to convince myself of.

I stuffed my suitcase and closed it. I started, paused, started and paused again multiple times. It wasn't about the amount of clothes I had or the amount of time I had left before I needed to leave his house.

It was that I didn't want to leave.

Last night, after I was tucked into bed, I had a revelation of sorts.

I didn't care about myself anymore. All I cared about was Tobias. All I needed to be happy was Tobias, and that was the only thing I wasn't going to get, the only thing I couldn't get.

Life was too cruel. What did I do in my previous life to deserve a life so sad?

Granted, people had it worse, and I was aware of that, but it didn't help me at all. My heart was shattered, and I spent the entire night crying. I felt my heart breaking, aching, trying to hold onto the last bits of hope there was for me to stay.

But as morning came, I was aware that there was nothing I could do to stay, or nothing that could prevent me from leaving.

Perhaps, it was better this way.

I knew that it was just a big, fat, lie the moment I walked downstairs with my suitcases in hands, and Tobias putting his jacket on. He offered to give me a ride to the airport, and I accepted it since I was broke and taxi would've been too expensive.

My heart ached. It felt as if someone had stabbed me, many times. Almost as if I could feel the blade piercing through the organ. I never felt this way. It was as if my whole world was shattering, and there was nothing I could've done to prevent it.

The moment I laid my eyes on Tobias, all the air evaporated from my lungs.

He had bags underneath his eyes, an indicator of not getting any sleep. His hair was messy, too, and although it looked great on him, it wasn't the time to admire his beauty. Even his posture was rigid, tense and his palms were fisted.

''I'm ready.'' I said, my heart aching as the words left my mouth.

Tobias was silent, and a nod was his response. He was slowly approaching me, where he took both of the suitcases I had and brought them down the stairs.

I followed him, silently. I could hear the beat of my heart and undoubtably, he could hear it too. It was one of the hardest things I had to deal with — being ignored, and not because I did anything wrong, but because he too didn't want this to end, not like this, at least.

My thoughts drifted off when I got too close to him and smelled the divine scent. My eyes closed on their own accord as I tried to inhale as much as possible, to forever remember his smell.