Chapter Twenty-Five

After Bobby had shown me the pigs, I took off to walk around some more. I went for the gardens to look around. I grinned at Sissy and Darlene before turning around to head back towards the houses. There was a small gathering of people around the fire pit, sweating like they'd been working out.

"Hey, Charli!" Syd said as he popped up from the ground to greet me."What's u- Oh, God. Smells... like things either got way more or way less complicated all of a sudden."

A small laugh left my lips and as I smiled at him. "Less, I think. We had a date night-"

"What?" Peter asked from behind me.

I sighed as I spun to see him. "Hey, Peter," I said in an excited voice, hoping he wouldn't see through me.

"You went on a date?" His eyebrows were furrowed and he looked as if he was upset.

"I did," I answered slowly, trying to discern why he felt he could be upset about that.

"You smell... like- You fucked my Alpha?" His eyes flashed orange as he took a step closer.

"Whoa!" I stepped back from him. "That's none of your business, Peter, first of all. I can do what I want."

He stalked closer to me, trying to intimidate me with his height. "I brought you here. I was the first one from this pack to touch you. I kissed you a week ago! How is it none of my business?"

"Because I'm not yours. I'm a grown woman. I make my own choices. You didn't have dibs on me or something. He's my Alpha, too."

"Oh, so that's what it is, huh? Chasing the power in all the packs, aren't you? You got kicked out of your old pack after you got the old Beta killed for being with you. You can't give up your greedy nature."

Anger boiled inside me as I felt my eyes light up orange to match his. I was steaming, but holding my tongue.

He didn't seem to have the same restraint of his words. "What are you trying to do, Charli? Take over a pack? Did you plan this whole thing? How many of these guys have you kissed since you got here?"

"I didn't kiss you, you kissed me! I was disgusted by you!"

His jaw dropped as he stared at me. "You're a fucking gold digger-"

"Fuck you!" I spat, leaning forward.

Before I could comprehend what was happening, Peter's hand struck the side of my face. I hadn't seen it coming. I covered my stinging cheek and lunged for him, but Syd's arm wrapped around his throat as he pulled him backwards.

I rushed for the Alpha House and burst through the back door. "Grady?" I shouted through the house.

"Miss Charli- oh no," Grandma said as she rounded the corner.

"Can you tell?" I whispered to her as I uncovered my cheek. If it wasn't visible I didn't want Grady to see it. He was going to be furious.

Grandma opened her mouth to speak, but Grady bounded down the stairs and shouted, "You're bleeding?" before she could say anything.

"What?" I checked my hand, and sure enough, there was blood. That must've been one hell of a hit.

"What happened?" Grady roared as he cleared the distance between us and gripped my upper arms.

"I, uh..." My throat was closing. I didn't know how much of his control would be kept once I spilled the beans on Peter. "I shouldn't have left. I should've... stayed inside. I'm fine."

"Charli, now."

I chanced a look up to see his eyes. Red was bleeding into the tops of his orange irises. He was going to lose his shit. "I got into an argument. I got hit. It's not big deal."