Chapter 3

"Your Highness, you are absolutely sure that you have read something about the apparition Prince Roman described?"

Virgil stopped pacing to glare at Logan. "I am very sure, Logan. He described what he saw and if we had only brought my father's books, we would be able to find out what it was."

"It wasn't my fault we didn't bring your father's books, your Highness."

Virgil growled hand put his head in his hands, still pacing. "Logan, can you remember anything about an ethereal looking black creature that resides in mirrors?" He asked sharply, his voice slightly muffled by his own hands. Logan sighed.

"There are several different demons that live in mirrors, it could be any of them."

"Well can any of them do this?" Virgil asked, pointing out the window at the black sky. Logan sighed again, thinking hard.

"One or two, yes. Malumsine and... Malus Nigreos."

"English please."

Logan sighed. "I can't remember the exact translation but they are both demons of immense power and they are both very dangerous. As far as I can remember, neither of them can stay in mirrors after the mirror has been shattered."

"So what would they do after that?"

"Malus Nigreos would most likely go back to the underworld, they've never really been that persistent. But Malumsine would try and find a human host."

Virgil's face fell. "Human host?" He repeated. "How long would it take Malumsine to find one?" He asked, already storming off towards the library, praying they had at least one book on demons and evil forces.

"A minute, maybe less. Why?"

"Because I was in the room when Roman smashed the mirror, that's why!"

***

Roman sighed and looked down at his notebook. He had been scribbling something down and let his mind go into auto-pilot while he did this. The result had been a poem not worth saving. He ripped the piece of paper out of his notebook, balled it up and threw it in the fire, wincing at his injured hand.

"What're you doing?" A voice from the library door asked.

"Just throwing something away." Roman muttered, not looking at the other prince. "What about you?"

Virgil looked at Roman with one eye-brow raised. "I'm here for a book." He said slowly. "We're in a library, it's not that difficult to figure out." Virgil started looking among the shelves of books, running his fingers along their spines and checking the names of each one. "D'you have any books on demons or dark forces?" He called.

"Um, yeah." Roman went over to a bookshelf and grabbed a book, handing it to Virgil. "Here."

Virgil ran his hand along to cover, wiping the dust off. He tilted his head to the side slightly. "This'll be good enough, I suppose." He looked up at Roman. "You don't have any other books on this subject, do you?"

Roman shook his head with a defeated air and Virgil sighed. "Very well." He said before leaving.

***

Roman sighed as he looked at his room. Everything seemed so normal but so out of place at the same time. It all looked the same but felt different. Scratch that, Roman felt different. He didn't feel like Prince Roman anymore. Maybe it was Virgil. This new prince had just turned Roman's world upside-down worrying about Roman one minute and then being snarky the next. Roman sighed and clutched at his head with his un-injured hand. His head was aching, it had been for days. And the sky outside wasn't doing anything to help.

Suddenly, a sharp flash of blinding light lit up the dim room and Roman thought he saw a black figure standing by the cracked mirror. Roman backed himself into a corner as another flash of lightning lit up the room and he got a better look at the figure.

It was black and wooden, with pointed ears like an elf and teeth like needles. It was grinning manically at Roman, it's red pupils slits. The figure approached Roman, who was trying to back away from it but ended up stuck between the dark figure and a wall. The figure's grin became wider, it's teeth shining in the candle light.

"Hello brother." It whispered before disappearing, leaving behind only the echo of a cold laugh.

Sorry this chapter is so short, I'm evil so I'm leaving a cliff-hanger. It will be updated tomorrow.
Bye,
Queenie