Chapter 6

Roman let out a little gasp as he peeked through the gap in the door. Virgil's eyes had turned purple and his hands were glowing with an energy.... the same energy that he felt crackling in the sky. The same energy that made the sky go black.

"He can't be trusted." A strange, foreign voice whispered in his ear. "You need to get rid of him. Get rid of him to bring back the sunlight."

Roman couldn't explain it, but he felt as if he could trust that little voice. It made sense. If Virgil was out of the way, the sky would have no need to stay black and cloudy. He watched as Virgil and Logan talked a little more, not noticing that Virgil looked weakened from the use of his magic.

"Roman, could you get someone to help Logan?" Virgil asked, coming out of the room with Logan leaning heavily on him so he could walk straight.

"Sure." Roman muttered, faking concern as he ran off to find a servant.

"You sure you're alright, Logan?"

"I am perfectly fine." Logan insisted, trying to stand up straight but failing and wincing slightly.

"You aren't." Virgil looked around quickly before lowering his voice. "I couldn't heal you properly, you're going to have to be careful. There's this dark force that's dampening my powers. It's dangerous and your wound could re-open if you're not careful."

"Your Highness, I shall be perfectly fine." Logan repeated, trying once again to stand. "Just maybe not right now."

"Hey, I'm back." Roman said, alerting their attention. "Daniel should help Logan get back to his room."

"Please be careful." Virgil reminded as Logan slowly followed the blonde servant boy down a corridor. "Roman, can you help me fi-"

Virgil was cut off by Roman placing a sword against his throat, pinning Virgil against the wall. "What are you doing?" Virgil asked, his air slowly getting cut off as Roman, malice flashing in his green eyes, pressed his sword deeper into Virgil's neck.

"What have you done to the sky?" Roman hissed. Virgil tried to talk but couldn't say anything and pointed at the sword at  his neck. Roman sighed and lessened the pressure, still keeping his sword held firmly at Virgil's neck.

"I haven't done anything! Why do you think I did anything?!" Virgil panted.

"I saw you, witch." Roman hissed. "I saw you with your freaky witch magic."

"Okay, first of all, not a witch, I'm a boy. Second of all, I can't use my power properly thanks to the sky."

"I don't believe you."

Virgil glared. "Fine. Cut me."

"What?" Roman asked, shocked.

"Cut my neck with your sword." Virgil hissed. Roman looked at Virgil, unsure, but did as he asked. Virgil's eyes turned purple as red blood fell quickly from the cut in his neck. His hands glowed with energy again and he clapped them to his throat, wincing. When he took his hands away from his neck, they were covered in his own blood but the cut on his neck had turned to a scar.

"Normally, this would've healed over completely. There's something here that's stopping my magic."

"He's lying." The voice hissed in Roman's ear.

"You're lying." Roman repeated but he made no attempt to stop Virgil as he walked away.

"Fine. Believe that. But don't expect me to use my 'freaky witch magic' when you punch another mirror."

Subconsciously, Roman rubbed his hand that was still wrapped in gauze. Virgil had helped him with this, he had believed what Roman had said about the thing in the mirror, he had even told Roman his worries about what the thing was.

"He doesn't want to help you. He's tricking you. Don't believe anything he says or does." The voice hissed.

"You're right." Roman thought, watching the receding figure in black. "He can't be trusted."