03 | Arrogant

03 | Arrogant

━━━━━━━

“Do I look pretty?”

I hummed as I squinted my eyes. It bothered Serafina so I pushed it further and crossed my arms as I looked at her like some specimen under a microscope.

“Sabihin mo na kung napapangitan ka,” she almost snarled at me. “Ang daming arte.”

Tumawa ako, kontrolado ang tunay na nararamdaman. Ang maldita talaga ng isang ito. I still wondered how my brother fell for her. She was totally the opposite of the girl I knew he preferred. I thought he liked his girl meek and mature as he was.

That was why I hated standards. I preferred wrecking them.

I didn’t want to disappoint myself so I refused to be part of the trend. If it’s really for you, it really is for you. Kahit gaano mo pa kaayaw. Because fate is a motherfucker. The more you want to steer the ship, the more it will try to push you to the waters.

I just hoped my brother liked the way his life was, now that he got himself a bratty wife. He was a simple-minded person so it wouldn’t be a surprise if he was. Hindi ko lang mapili pa kung kahanga-hanga ba siya dahil doon o tanga.

But one thing was for sure: I wouldn’t be like him. He was easily contented with little things. He married early. It looked like it didn’t matter to him that his life was restricted now. It was funny. He was too young – they were too young. He never had any experience with any girl before and suddenly he was married. I was sure the moment I turned his age, I’d be busy doing what I loved. Definitely not marriage.

Geez. And I thought he would never be romantically involved with a girl because he was gay.

“You actually look good,” I said in all honesty.

Just like that, her face lit up and she grinned. She always had that grin which never failed to send me to the edge. Parang laging may balak na kung ano. If she wasn’t fun, honest, and entertaining, I wouldn’t like this girl.

She was a bit of something I couldn’t pinpoint.

“Do you think your kuya will love this?” she asked, surveying her gown as she was turning slowly.

“He doesn’t have a choice.” 

She scoffed. “Mas guwapo ka ‘pag tahimik.”

Muli ay tumawa ako at hindi na nagsalita pa. She always had a counter-attack in her pocket so it was futile arguing with her.

We were in formal clothes because we were to attend a birthday party of a stockholder of the company. My father advised us to behave and all since the election for the board of directors was approaching and the celebrant was one with the majority shares of stock. He needed the old man’s votes to be the chairman.

Ah, business. I even heard he was to give the old man a luxurious gift. A century-old wine, perhaps.

“Why are you wearing pink? Magpalit ka nga ro’n! Are you gay or what? When did you even buy that? Ikaw talagang bata ka!” dinig kong pagalit na sabi ni Mommy habang pababa ako sa staircase.

It was, of course, Iñovyz in a pink tuxedo. He looked cute and handsome with it. Wala namang mali.

I didn’t know the color of clothes reveal gender orientation nowadays.

“Where is your husband?”

Napalingon ako kay Dad na inaayos ang cuffs niya habang magkasalubong ang mga kilay na nakatayo sa harap ni Serafina. I could see how my sister-in-law felt every word my father uttered. Of all the people here in the house, pinakakinatatakutan niya talaga si Dad.