Chapter 6: The Reminder

"Your girlfriend?" the man called Cho Cheol-Gang says in shock. After a fraction of a second, his face morphs into a smile that's so natural that it almost looks practiced. He extends his hand to shake hers. "Ah! I'm honored to meet you. I'm an old friend of Jeong-Hyeok's, and an even older friend of his brother's."

Se-ri takes the offered hand uncertainly, her eyes seeking Jeong-hyeok in the background. Her "boyfriend" also looks somewhat flustered at this intrusion, judging by the stiffness in his shoulders.

"I'm also the president of Vast," adds Cho Cheol-Gang, "so just one level below Jeong-Hyeok. I come over sometimes and play video games with him. Would you like to play with us?"

Se-ri frankly hates video games. She shakes her head, wondering why she feels so awkward, like she and Jeong-hyeok have been interrupted in a far more intimate moment than they really had been.

"I was just heading out, actually. I hope you two have a great time together." She nods at them and makes quickly for the door, but as she passes Jeong-Hyeok, he grabs her arm.

"Wait," Jeong-hyeok orders stiffly, and not even sparing a glance for Cho Cheol-Gang, he pulls her over to a corner.

"Take the papers," he says under his breath, handing her a manilla envelope. His hand is warm on her arm. "You can bring them to the office sometime next week. Come by any time after 5pm."

Se-ri sees Cho Cheol-Gang regarding them curiously from the living room, clearly trying to catch every word. Ri Jeong-Hyeok stands above her, his eyes fixed only on her, until she gives him a small, confirmatory nod. Only then does he step away, leaving Se-ri a bit dazed from the lingering eye contact and the moment that just passed between them.

When she's left, Jeong-Hyeok finally turns to face his old friend. Chael-gong is looking at him with an almost amused expression.

"You could have called ahead, hyung," Jeong-Hyeok mutters. "I would have made sure there was no one here."

"And miss meeting her? Where would be the fun in that?" Chael-Gong flaps back on the sofa and stretches out his legs, seemingly oblivious to Jeong-Hyeok's discomfort. "She is certainly very pretty, Jeong-Hyeok-ah. Tell me, is she the woman from the tabloid photo?"

Jeong-Hyeok is just silent, staring at the floor awkwardly. Somehow, he doesn't like it that Cho Cheol-Gang has become aware of his secret, that he'd found Se-ri at his house, of all places. Cho Cheol-Gang finally breaks out into a rough laugh.

"My goodness, why are you so embarrassed? It's not like you're children! Ah, this makes me happy to see. Mu-Hyeok always used to say 'Watch out for my younger brother, Chael-Gong-ah, he's going to be very popular with the ladies someday.' And he was right!"

"Come on," Jeong-hyeok shifts his legs awkwardly, "It's not like that."

"Oh, but it is! Mark my words, Jeong-hyeok-ah, you're going to be settled down before you know it. Ah, your father will be so happy. You know, when I was with your brother at the end, in that hospital in Jeju..." Jeong-Hyeok internally flinches.

Cheol-Gang's voice takes on a mournful tone, as it always does when he talks about Mu-hyeok. "Even at the very end, he kept talking about you. He kept saying that he hoped you'd be able to move on quickly, that you wouldn't feel too guilty for what had happened."

Guilty because you weren't even at your brother's bedside while he was dying, Jeong-hyeok's mind helpfully fills in the rest of the words. Guilty because if you had been here instead of globetrotting in Europe, maybe he wouldn't have had to go on that business trip at all.

"I just hope that these personal matters won't interfere at all – you know – with the company," Cho Cheol-Gang says, watching Jeong-Hyeok's face keenly. "We all remember how much work your brother and father put into Vast. Your brother even put off his wedding by several months..."