117

The dress was modest, the length stopping a few inches above my knees, with capped short sleeves, and crisscrossed half open back. It was form fitting, which I liked. It made me feel a little more calm when I was at least a little confident in myself. I was finishing up my hair and makeup, when I heard Colby let out a low whistle. "Gah damn, you look hot," he said, coming up behind me. I glanced at him in the reflection and took in his outfit. He always looked hot but the black button up, long sleeve shirt, paired with his black slacks was almost overpowering for me. He had his rings on, two simple Figueroa chains around his neck, and his shirt was tucked in, accentuated with his new black Gucci belt. He caught my eye in the mirror, and gave me a cocky grin. "Like what you see?" he asked. I smiled and nodded, then leaned forwards to apply my lip gloss. "Very much," I answered. Once we were ready to go, we had about forty five minutes to make it to Mrs. Gails. That was plenty of time but I wanted to get there a little early, just for moral support. This was going to be a hard day on all of us, but especially her. A mother just wasn't supposed to bury her child. I grabbed my black beaded clutch, made sure we had the motel key card, and followed Colby to the car. It was a beautiful day, with the sun shining, white cotton candy clouds in the blue sky, and the birds were chirping, adding to the aesthetic. It didn't seem right that we would have such a sad occurrence on such a beautiful day. Colby stopped in his tracks, almost causing me to run into him. "What is it?" I asked, peering around to see why he had stopped. He turned to me, and placed his hands on my hips. "I know you're nervous about this and that's okay. Sometimes being nervous makes us perform better. You can do this T. I believe in you, and I love you." I teared up with the earnest look in his blue eyes. I nodded, and sniffed. "Stop, I can't cry yet. I have to save that for the church," I said, letting out a small watery laugh. He pressed his lips to my forehead, and hugged my tight. I wrapped my arms around his neck, and held on to him. I thanked God again, that he was in my life. I honestly didn't know what I would do without him or where I would be. Colby had shaped my life in so many ways. He and Sam had been the start of something that changed my life forever, and I would forever be grateful. "Okay, are you good?" He asked, pulling back with a little smile. I nodded, and leaned up to press my lips to his. "Let's go," I said. When we pulled into Mrs. Gail's driveway, there were already a few cars there, waiting to follow the hearse, which was also already there, along with the family limo. I stared at the hearse when we stepped out of the car, feeling that pit in my stomach again. "You okay?" Colby asked, taking my hand. I swallowed, and nodded. We made our way inside the open door to the house, and started looking for Mrs. Gail. I recognized most of the faces, including JJ and Levi, who were sitting on the couch, speaking to Amber's mom. I guess she changed her mind about coming. Her face was red and tear streaked but I didn't feel any sympathy for her. It was her own fault that she had lost her daughter. I didn't blame her for Amber's death, but she lost her daughter long before then. Just like my parents did. Speaking of, we made our way into the kitchen, and there they sat, speaking with Mrs. Gail again. "Terra, baby, you look beautiful, oh my goodness," Mrs. Gail said, putting her hands to her cheeks, as she stood up. "Well, turn around! Let me see the entire thing." I rolled my eyes at her with a smile, and did a little spin. "Just gorgeous," she said, kissing my cheek, then she looked back at my parents. "You two did a fine job with this one. She's so respectful. I don't know what I would've done without her during this time." I hated that she gave them credit, and it looked like they didn't know how to accept it with their surprised expressions. So they ignored it. "You look very pretty darling," my Mother said stiffly. "Thank you," I replied, just as stiffly. "You're beautiful honey," my father said, a thoughtful expression on his face. I nodded at him, then turned back to Mrs. Gail. "I saw Ms. Stacey in the living room. Will she be riding in the limo with you then?" She gave me a sad smile and shook her head. "No. Stacey said that would prefer to ride with her current boyfriend Bill. So, it looks like it'll just be me,  you, and your handsome young man there." I nodded, and sat in the available chair, with Colby standing behind me. "What about her father? Have you heard anything from him?" Again she shook her head. "No. I tried to contact him but his phone was disconnected with no forwarding number. I don't know how to find him." Her eyes teared up, so I placed my hand on top of her soft one. "I'm sorry Ma. It's okay though. They weren't here for her then, they shouldn't be here for her now. She only ever needed you." She sniffed and patted my hand. "Thank you Dear. Okay, I'm going to go to the little girl's room. I'll be right back." I wanted to protest, but what could I say? Please don't leave me here with my parents? I didn't think that would go over so well. Besides, I couldn't very well stop her from going to the bathroom. I stood up to go check in with the funeral director, and see if there was anything that we could do, but my mother's voice stopped me.