chapter 6

Chapter 6
I was woken up by the curtains being drawn rather violently, Gezelda flashed me a grin to reveal razor sharp teeth.  I almost forgot where I was but it all came back to me in waves. I groaned as she began to pick up the many pillows that fell to the floor and I clung tightly to the blankets.
“Don’t you knock?” I groaned.
She giggled and my groggy conduct and I shielded my eyes from the bright light with my forearm.
“When Lady Eli asks for something I cannot deny her. House rules I’m afraid.” She chided and disappeared off into the bathing chambers to draw my bath no doubt.
Damn Eli, she knew that the only way to wake me up in the morning was to ramshackle my deep sleep with a shocking alteration. One day, she is going to kill me from the shock. I rubbed my eyes and sat up. The warm wind from outside wafted into my room and I knew that it was way too early to be awake. The silver sun provided a false sense of day and I cracked my neck and stretched before I leaving the bed.
Training started today. I needed to be ‘sharp and agile’ as Caspian put it last night.
Gezelda returned and laid out a simple set of black fighting leathers. So training began at dawn?
“Next time, Cyra, I will knock.” She smiled at me and pocketed her copy of the key to my chambers.
“How long have you been working here anyway?” I made small talk while she made my bed and I slipped on a pair of slippers left aside for me.
“Over 30 000 years.” She said softly. My brows rose at her and I went to clean myself up for today.’
Is that how long they’ve been here? That is a mighty long time to be trapped in a city without going anywhere. It was like a prison. I’m sure every being here knew the city well then, every nook and cranny.  My heart broke for the people in this city. They are stuck in a world that they don’t exactly belong in… I wonder if opening the portals to other worlds was justified if it meant getting these lost people home.

I reached for the door handles in front of me so that I may join everyone for breakfast. I needed to keep my energy. Just when I was about to push open those heavy doors I heard a muffled, deep masculine voice on the other side of the door.
“Don’t breath on that. It is expensive.” Eli jabbed at the stranger I just now heard, he chuckled and a rich voice reverberated throughout the room.
I pushed the doors open and saw Eli sitting at the head of the table, legs propped up next to some plate. She was bouncing her legs like she always did.
“I thought I heard a voice.” I said sheepishly and sat down at the lower end of the table, far from Eli.
“That would be my fine voice, Cyra.” The thick voice spoke, foreign, and deep. I whipped my head to the presence behind me and kept in my shock.
A man, taller than Caspian and muscles that bulged under his blue tunic answered. He was gorgeous, and chiselled and like Caspian, hailed danger.
“I don’t believe we have met.” I spoke with a level voice and darted my eyes from Eli to him. Meeting new people at times made me very anxious. I didn’t know how to act around them or look at them without having them watch me back.
He brushed a strand of his inky black hair away from his face. Dark, rugged features and the body of a roman god – he extended a hand and I took it. He placed a soft kiss on my hand and I gave him a small smile, “Xanth. Ally. Warrior-god. Whatever you need, I’m all yours.” He grinned. He was cocky and bubbly and so full of energy.
“I take it you’re one of the infamous members of the coterie, who has now come to aid the rest of us.”I said sarcastically. He nodded, smile never leaving that well-sculptured face of his.
I looked around and realised that it was just the three of us.
“Caspian?” I asked and Xanth’s smile faltered as fast as the words left my mouth.
“Away. You will find that he does that more often than not.” Eli answered.

*******

Thank you for reading this far 🌻!!!  I am so in awe of how far my writing has come and I really hope you've enjoyed the first 5 chapters. I have come to a pause with this book as I have need some feedback and any comments on what you think of it.

Love, now and always 🦋