Chapter 4 - Genevieve

Snickering, I look over at my unassuming and completely oblivious "date", Jeremy. Looking down at my dress, I fix a smile on my face as I smooth out the skirt of the dress I'm wearing. I chose this one on purpose as it dips low to show cleavage but covers enough to still maintain my relative innocence. It's not the dress itself that is going to do the work for me, but my actions.

Idiot, I think to myself. Thinking he can fucking date all three of us and ask Ivy to marry him? I won't be some dude's side-piece, not while I have breath in my body.

I try to breath deeply as my anger threatens to consume and take over all the Zen I'd been working on for the past several hours.

Well, I needed help with my Zen. Liquid help.

A ring! A motherfucking ring!

I take another deep breath, bring my lips up into a tight smile. I hope he thinks it's just nerves and not the rage I feel boiling in my veins. Alcohol was both a good and bad choice before I left the house.

Okay, I'm not a big fan of alcohol, but I needed something to loosen me up before Jeremy came by to pick me up at the house, so I snuck into my parents' liquor cabinet and took a few gulps of straight-up vodka. Just enough to take the edge off.

Now I'm feeling no pain and floating on high-grain alcohol and bad intentions. Yes, bad, but as they say, revenge is a dish best served cold, and I am the fucking arctic right now, complete with polar bears, glaciers, and the biting wind that freezes you all the way down to your motherfucking soul.

I hope Jeremy gets burned by the gaping ozone layer. Yup, folks, even after a few hundred years that bitch is still there, only slightly smaller after everyone turned to hybrids and electric vehicles.

After a few minutes of awkward small talk to which I mostly hummed my half-drunken responses, we pull up to Toxic, an 18 plus dance club where you had to wear a puke-green bracelet in order to drink liquor from the bar. I don't think I would partake as I am already feeling pretty damn good, but after what Low had told me about the wine at the restaurant, Jeremy would most likely bribe someone to get us those sought-after bracelets.

If that douche brings me a drink without me seeing who prepared it, I'm throwing it straight in his pretty, cocky smirking face. I don't put it past him to roofie me, and if I'm handing out my V-card, it's going to be to someone I want to sleep with.

And I want to remember every damn second of it, too.

Just as I thought, crisp bills are exchanged for two vile-looking wristbands, and Jeremy is caressing my wrist as he tapes the two ends together. Is there anything his father's money can't buy in this town?

Maybe only his dignity after we three sisters are through with him.

We are immediately at the bar, and Jeremy is buying a beer, looking over to ask me what I want. I smile dizzily and tell him I want a soda for now. The warm hum of alcohol is still in my system, though the loud music and his general presence is a bit of a buzzkill.

I smooth down my dress again even though it's still plenty straight. Nervous habit, I guess. Maybe I should've asked for a little rum in my cola...

Jeremy tosses back half his beer before we even leave the bar, and I sip slowly on my drink before we find an empty table near the back away from all the writhing bodies on the dance floor.

"Glad you could come out with me tonight, Genevieve," he rumbles into my ear as he slips into the seat beside me. He's so close that I'm breathing in the scent of beer on his breath and my nose crinkles. I was never a fan. Too bitter-smelling for my tastes.