Chapter 3

2015
Bonnie watched her dad, Tony, and Clint decide what to do with the cradle, sitting off to the side on a stool. She watched Bruce and Tony argue about putting JARVIS in the body Ultron had built.
She eventually left them to their arguments and made her way to the kitchen, grabbing herself a bowl of cereal. She was in a Stark Industries t-shirt and spandex shorts, with her hair pulled up into a ponytail as she wasn't expecting any visitors outside of the team.
When she went back in, her dad and Tony were uploading JARVIS into the body. She heard a thud and jumped, her eyes darting to the door. Steve and the twins they had been fighting were standing there, looking extremely defensive. Bonnie eyed the two cautiously, unable to help from noticing the boy's attractive face.
"I'm gonna say this once." Steve said angrily.
"How about nonce?" Tony cut back.
"Shut it down." Steve demanded. The boy noticed Bonnie looking at him, and her eyes darted down as her cheeks flushed with embarrassment at being caught.
"Not gonna happen."
"You don't know what you're doing." Steve insisted.
"And you do?" Bruce retaliated, which shocked Bonnie. Her dad was never this defensive with the team. "She's not in your head?"
"I know you're angry." The girl spoke, stepping forward.
What did I miss?
"Oh, we're way past that." Bruce stated. "I could choke the life out of you and never change a shade." This made Bonnie drop her bowl, that was thankfully empty, on the floor. No one looked at her but the boy, who had a concerned look on his face.
The group started arguing again, which made Bonnie tense in discomfort. The boy noticed this and, to Bonnie's surprise, ran around the room unplugging the mechanisms connected to the body. He stopped in front of Bonnie, and she jumped.
"No no, go on, you were saying?" He spoke, before the ground under him shattered, causing him to fall a floor down.
"Pietro!" The girl yelled in fear, and alarms started going off, causing Bonnie to back up against the wall in defense. Tony and Steve started fighting, and her dad wrapped an arm around the girls throat.
"Go ahead, piss me off." He threatened, which made Bonnie whimper.
"Dad what are you doing?" She yelps, and the girl shoots a beam of energy at him, causing him to fly backwards. "Dad!" She screamed, running to his side, looking up at the girl pleadingly.
That's when Thor crashed in, shooting a bolt of lightning into the body. The glass shattered open as everyone's attention was drawn to the man who leapt out of the containment unit. He looked himself over, before flying out, crashing through the glass and stopping in front of the window overlooking the city. They all make their way down to the main floor as the red man was staring out the window, and the boy, Pietro, stopped in front of Bonnie. The group started to talk to the man, but Bonnie couldn't understand what they were saying, and her heart rate started to speed up. Her legs started to shake, and she dropped. Before she could hit the ground, someone caught her. She looked up to see Pietro.
"Banner, I'm getting her to a bed." He said in a thick accent. Bruce looked cautious, but had no time to handle everything, so he went against his best judgement and nodded.
"Hurt her and you won't see the light of day again." He threatens, and Pietro nods, before running to the secondary common area.
Bonnie gasped in surprise, starting to feel tears trickle down her cheeks.
"It's alright." He comforts. "You need to calm your breathing." She looked up at him in fear. "I won't hurt you, just please trust me. You need to focus." She nods, and he starts to walk her through slow breathing. Eventually, she relaxes, her panic attack subsiding.
"Th-thank you." She says softly to him.
"It's no worries." He assures. "My sister has them all the time, I learned to help." She nods, keeping her eyes trained on him.
"Your sister hurt my dad. How?" She asks, and he sighs.
"We were doing what we thought was right." He tells her, not making eye contact.
"That doesn't answer my question."
"She brought his worst fears forward, and triggered the beast. He attacked a city." She straightened up in shock.
"You- why would she do that?" She croaks out, starting to shake. "People could have died."
"We thought we knew right from wrong." He tells her, looking up at her again. "Stark destroyed our family. He killed our parents. We thought we were on the good side." She nods shakily, still not feeling good. "I'm Pietro, by the way."
"Bonnie Banner." She says simply, "Why were you on Ultron's side in the first place?"
"We thought he just wanted Stark gone, but when he revealed his true plans, we got out." He tells her, causing her to look up at him.
"I'm an orphan too, technically. I don't remember my parents." She explains, not knowing why. "They got caught in the explosion that caused me and Bruce to turn green. I lost my memories and got taken by SHIELD as their human science experiment." He sits there, listening intently. "Bruce got me out 5 years later. They told me you and your sister were with Hydra?" He nods. "I think if I had gotten out before Bruce got me out, I might've been taken in by Hydra too. We might have known each other. Grown up together." Before he can respond, Wanda and her dad come in, eying each other cautiously.
"Bon, I'm going out. You stay here." Bruce tells her, and she nods, standing up and walking over. He pulls her into a tight hug, holding on a little longer than usual. She looks up at him.
"Dad? Is everything okay?" She asks softly, unaware the twins are watching them and listening. He nods stiffly.
"Of course Bon, just nervous." He presses a fatherly kiss to her forehead. "I love you Bonnie." She smiles up at him.
"I love you too dad," She tells him, pressing a kiss to his cheek. "Come back safe, okay?" He nods and rubs her back, before heading off to the lab. Bonnie looks over at the twins and sends a smile to Pietro. "You too, we only just met. I'd like to hear your story, Speedy Gonzalez." She teases, and he grins.
"Can't wait." He responds, before him and Wanda head up to prep as well. Bonnie smiles, before heading back to her room to go to bed. She falls asleep,
-
Bonnie sat in her bedroom at the new Avengers Complex, her legs tucked into her chest.
He left me.
Nat sat next to her as she cried silently.
"Why would he do this to me Nat? Why would he leave me alone?" She croaked out to the agent, and Nat sighed.
"I don't know Bon, I really don't." She said softly, although Bonnie couldn't sense the dishonesty in her voice through her tears. Bonnie choked on another sob, and Nat set a hand on her back to comfort her.
"What am I gonna do? I have nowhere to go." She sobbed, hiding her face in her knees.
"Like hell you don't. If you think I'm not taking you under my wing, you're crazy." Bonnie looked up at Nat, eyes red and puffy.
"Really?" She asked softly. Nat nodded.
"I'm already helping out Sam, Rhodey, Wanda, and Vision, why not a fifth duckling?" She says teasingly. Bonnie grinned and threw her arms around Nat in a loving hug.
"Thank you, Nat." She says softly, her face buried into the red-heads neck. Nat smiled, holding her close and rubbing her back.
"Anything for you, kiddo. What kind of friend would I be if I let you tough the world alone at your age?" Bonnie giggled at her words, the first time she had laughed since Bruce left. She pulled away from her and smiled up at her.
"So what now?"
"Now, Bon, we kick some ass together."
-
5 months later, Steve and Bonnie stood in the combat room, with Nat, Wanda, Rhodey, Sam, and Vision off to the side behind a wall of bulletproof glass.
"Alright Bon, let the Hulk take over." Steve said, and Bonnie froze.
"W-what? No, I don't want to lose control." She argues, and he smiles softly.
"Don't worry about it, I can take it. Just you and me, Bon." She breathed out shakily, and nodded, before releasing control and letting She-Hulk take over. Her control shifted, and while she was still mentally present, she was fighting for the reins over her own body. "Focus Bon, shared consciousness." She hears Steve say, almost as if he was speaking through water. She pushed forward, hearing the Hulk in her brain.
I control body. No, you don't. We share it. No share. Yes share. We both live here, let's work together. Puny Banner. Very funny, now come on. We're both overworking ourselves here. Just work with me.
She heard a grunt, and her vision cleared. She smiled, looking down at Steve.
"I did it! Steve, I did it!" She says excitedly. She was holding her Hulk form, but her brain was clear. He smiled up at her.
"Great Bon! I'm proud of you!" He encourages. "Now, come back down to size."
Alright, Hulk. I'm gonna have my normal body for a bit. You can come out later when it's better timed. She heard another grunt, and she took back over with her normal body, letting out a breath she didn't know she was holding. She ran up to him excitedly and hugged him.
"I did it!" She squeals and he laughs, hugging her back as the others come out.
"You know what this means Bonnie?" She looked up at him in excitement.
"You're an Avenger now."