Chapter Six

I reversed slowly out of my parking spot, Kendrick Lamar blaring from the radio while my eyes were focused on the review mirror. My eyes moved to the side mirrors — left then right, before looking up again. My ears filled with the sound of a smash then a scream. Another car had reversed into me.

"I'm gonna give this joker a piece of my mind!" I heard a girl yell when I jumped out of my car.

The back of my car dented and covered in the paint from their car.

"Oh my, Cass, it's a brother!" Another girl cried.

I furrow my brows when approaching their car.

"Excuse me!" I called out in anger.

The woman jumped out of her car and marched towards me.

"Are your eyes painted on mister!" She folded her arms.

My eyes widened and my heart skipped a beat. That's how I met Cassandra. She was wearing denim shorts and a tank top. Her hair in a protective style. Just like that, I was a goner.

"You hit me" I folded my arms.

She scoffed, shaking her head in denial.

"Brother, What are you trying to pull?" Cassandra placed her hands on her hips. "My sister is in my car and saw the whole thing, what witness do you have? Hmmm"

Beverly sat in the passenger's seat, her head peeking out the window. Big brown eyes and a grin.

"Hi," she said slowly, waving in my direction, making Cass roll her eyes.

"Well umm..."

"Cassandra" Bev informed me.

"Well Cassandra, take a look at my car" I cocked a brow, "your paints all over it, meaning you hit me. All you got is a scratched car, mine is all banged up so how bout we exchange details and call it a day"

"You got somewhere to be?"

"Yeah a job, you got one?" I retorted, making Beverly laugh.

"Bev!" Cassandra cried as pulling out her phone and handing it me "put in your number" she ordered so I did. She takes a picture of her drivers licence and the damage to both our cars before texting it to me. "You got my details, take it up with your insurance company" with that she slid into the driver's seat.

"My insurance? You hit me" I reminded her.

"Keep telling yourself that, mister"

"My name is Jalen, not brother, not mister," I told her.

"Whatever" she yelled over the engine before driving off.

"Mister Thompson," Denise says from beside me, waking me up from my trance. "Can I go to the bathroom"

I snap my head in her direction before nodding slowly. "Take a pass"

I look down at my wedding ring, sliding it up and down my finger. My heart beats a little quicker. She really was something, wasn't she? Suddenly I swing my arm, knocking my binder onto the floor. The students look up at me, I wave them off as an attempt to tell them to get back to work.

When I lean down to pick up the binder, a piece of paper falls out. My brows furrow together, creating a crease across my forehead as I pick up the piece of paper, unfolding it slowly.

1. DETANGLE
Pull apart her hair, getting rid of any knots or loose hair.

2. SHAMPOO
Wet her hair FIRST then shampoo.

3. CONDITION
Make sure to get those ends. Then let it sit for about ten minutes.
Do not rinse (yet)

4. DETANGLE (again)
Then brush out her hair with the conditioner still in (this makes it a whole lot easier).

5. SET
Section her hair into four parts, tying each into a ponytail/bun before RINSING. Then add two drops of argan oil to each section. You can also find some leave-in shampoo to help moisturise.

I smile. One of the kids from the group therapy must have written this for me. The only black kids there were Haley, Tommy and Andre, and I doubt this was the boys.

When the bell starts to roar through the school, my students and I stand up and begin leaving the classroom. Down the hall I see Haley standing beside a few girls by the lockers. Immediately she snaps her head in my direction, furrowing her brows.

"Haley, can I talk to you for a second?" I ask.

"Am I in trouble for something?" She folds her arms.

"No you're not in trouble," I shake my head, "I found the note you left me...and I just wanted to say that I appreciate it"

"It's nothing" Haley assures, "my little half-sisters have 4 C hair," with that she and her friends leave my sight.

Haley's bi-racial with 3A hair. I don't know much about her home life but so far I know that she has no father figure with her white bio dad walking out when she was a kid. Her mum is mostly absent, leaving Haley to raise her sisters.

I walk down the hallway, away from the kids and look down at my wedding ring.

"I'll be honest, I was surprised when you called me" I admitted, "usually the insurance companies just handle it"

"The truth is I fixed my car myself with some polish so all is well," she said from beside me while we walked down the sidewalk. "So how bout we forget this?"

I nodded "fine if I can take you out for dinner"

She laughed "I was wondering when you would ask"

I smile at the memory.